Nik's Poulan Thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thought I had some 530019097 crank seals but guess I'm out. Is there another seal other than the National 253747 that will work? I recall having some a couple years ago but the walls were so thin that I ruined them on install. Suggestions?
Bob

Your the man Tim. I know who I am coming to with 3700 problems.

He is the man.

I got the red Craftsman 3.7 (actually a 3800 top end) cutting great last weekend, but do you know what an "average"
axial end play should be in those series? The service manual uses special drivers to set the bearings, and the driver rims
are the stops for final location.

I may have to pull both the seals & reset the needle bearings inward with a custom lathed off tool,
as it's over 0.032". But it runs strong, no seal leakage, and the brass thrust washers inside the crankcase
looked fine (from the edges of them).

Thought I had some 530019097 crank seals but guess I'm out. Is there another seal other than the National 253747 that will work? I recall having some a couple years ago but the walls were so thin that I ruined them on install. Suggestions?
Bob
Yes, the SKF 6119. Both are garter springed dual lipped 7/8" x 5/8" x 3/16" & my local NAPA stocks the SKF.

I did get a chance to tach the 4000 with & w/o the AF or high top cover this weekend, and the max RPM does drop by 500-550 when its installed. Except for the easy cleanable sieve type filter, those don't seem to flow air as well as the rear slotted type winter covers seen on 3800s & some 3700s. The slotted covers bring the air in from the rear and never turn it around like the front inlet standard & high top do.

He is the man.

I got the red Craftsman 3.7 (actually a 3800 top end) cutting great last weekend, but do you know what an "average"
axial end play should be in those series? The service manual uses special drivers to set the bearings, and the driver rims
are the stops for final location.

I may have to pull both the seals & reset the needle bearings inward with a custom lathed off tool,
as it's over 0.032". But it runs strong, no seal leakage, and the brass thrust washers inside the crankcase
looked fine (from the edges of them).

Most of them are pretty sloppy. I measured a couple of mine and they were around .020 I think. I would suggest if your's is .032 it likely came like that.
If you do decide to move the bearings just go ahead and split the cases. It's so easy to do on those saws it's not worth fiddling around from the outside. If you did push them in too far you would have to split the cases anyway.
There is no case gasket so use Motoseal, yamabond, hondabond or some gas resistant sealer. You can delete the cylinder base gasket using that stuff in its place as well.

All my 3400_4000 saws have some play in them. But they run good so ive left them alone. I have always thought the 3700s were very good runners. I opened up the muffler on my cousins thick ring 3.7 and slotted the a/f cover and that made a very noticeable difference in performance.

Yes, the SKF 6119. Both are garter springed dual lipped 7/8" x 5/8" x 3/16" & my local NAPA stocks the SKF.

I did get a chance to tach the 4000 with & w/o the AF or high top cover this weekend, and the max RPM does drop by 500-550 when its installed. Except for the easy cleanable sieve type filter, those don't seem to flow air as well as the rear slotted type winter covers seen on 3800s & some 3700s. The slotted covers bring the air in from the rear and never turn it around like the front inlet standard & high top do.
I tried putting two seals in my 3400 today and ruined both seals:cry: Are the napa ones a little tougher. Or should I get a smaller hammer.

I tried putting two seals in my 3400 today and ruined both seals:cry: Are the napa ones a little tougher. Or should I get a smaller hammer.

What I do Jerry is to lube up the rubber part of the seal with 2 stroke oil. Then with some finesse and a deep well socket that matches the outer metal part of the seal I tap it into place. If it is not perfectly level then I tilt the socket just alittle and tap it to where I want.

DSCF0429 (Custom).JPG

Those seals can be tough to get started in the case as the top edge is very sharp.

If taken all the way apart I countersink the edge of the case before I put it back together. If I'm just replacing seals I actually just take my pocket knife and cut a bevel in the case. They slip right in most the time with a bevel cut in the case.

View attachment 335991

Those seals can be tough to get started in the case as the top edge is very sharp.

If taken all the way apart I countersink the edge of the case before I put it back together. If I'm just replacing seals I actually just take my pocket knife and cut a bevel in the case. They slip right in most the time with a bevel cut in the case.
That was my prob. that outer edge was way too sharp and the edge of the seal caught on the case and rolled it. Oh well I better pick up a dozen just to make sure. Thanks for the tip I will chamfer that edge a little. And maybe put my glasses on.

That looks like my saw but it's wearing Craftsman gray, my top also was Sun faded but I painted it in satin black, also repainted the saw while I had it torn apart.
Only difference is my hand guard is mounted on the handle.

Yours a 2.8 or 3.0?

Hand guard like this. ;)

Look like this one?

craft3.0 003.JPG

You should try to use a driving plate or a thick socket to help distribute the load when you first start them in them. I can't
"freehand start" those small seals with a plastic hammer, as they either roll over, or else one side starts & the other doesn't.

I have a pair of both National & SKF seals at the house, and will see if there is a place to measure the rim thicknesses. AutoZone has the
Nationals for three or four dollars each, as they're used in a transmission on some older GM products.

If knew exactly where that seal went, I could look it up in one of our service manuals and see what special seal driver it took to install it, maybe able to find a driver on fleabay

Sent from my Prism II using Tapatalk

Back