Stihl 045

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craig Fournier

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I own a Stihl 045 chain saw that I bought years ago and used very lightly. It was running great until I shipped it UPS and was damaged in transit. Pulling on the started cord is impossible. However when I take the spark plug out I can turn over the engine easily. Obviously the cylinder is in good shape. I replaced the starter housing but that is not the problem.

So what should I do? Is there someone out there who really knows these saws that can fix it? Should I sell it for parts? Should I junk it.

It could just have sucked some oil/fluid into the system, causing it to partially hydro-lock. Why was it shipped? And what was done to it?
Sounds right. It was shipped with bar oil in it. I was moving and shipped it UPS rather than take it with me. What is the solution. How do I get rid of the oil / fluid in the system?

Just take the spark plug out and run some mixed gas through the cylinder while trying to pull it over, and then turn the saw over and let everything drain out of the spark plug hole. Also see if fluids drains from the carburetor. Careful use of compressed air will assist in clearing the engine.

Many Thanks. I will give that a try. I am busy right now and I would get around to it until this winter when things slacken off. I will post a reply and let you and everyone know what happens.

Back