Auto cycle valve, worth it or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cantoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'm building a 36" splitter for my owb. 13 hp motor with 16 gpm pump, 4"x 36" cylinder. approx. 35 gal hydraulic tank with 20 gallons of oil in it. It'll have a 4 way wedge with hydraulic lift. Will have a log lifter at some point but not right away. I plan to use a hay rack for staging the 36" rounds that I already have all cut up, ash and poplar. The wagon will be higher and sloped towards the splitter beam and the rounds will be pulled onto the splitter beam with a hook. Drop off the splitter and up my conveyor to drop on the ground. They will later be piled into my 30" wide by 48"x48" wooden crates. I usually work by myself and usually don't get too excited about speed but I still like to get it done.
1st question. Auto cycle valve is about $300 here, just not sure if it's worth it or not? It's not going to be a lightening fast pusher so maybe the auto cycle would pay for itself pretty quickly?
2nd question. Which valve is better to have power beyond port? I was thinking the auto cycle one would have power beyond and feed the 2 spool for the lifter and 4way? Or would it be better to have power beyond on the 2 spool and then feed the auto cycle?
3rd question ties to 2nd. I will likely power the conveyor with hydraulics at some point so might as well get the 3 spool now, does this change which valve should be power beyond?
I don't know crap about hydraulics but like everything else I do it doesn't stop me from building stuff anyway. Rebuilt a couple of splitters before but I usually start out with something that works 1st. I never take enough pictures as I go along but here's one, I've already changed the wedge to adjustable. IMG_20151030_190548.jpg . Spent 3 1/2 hrs grinding a wedge wing tonight, too stubborn to get a machine shop to make one.

assuming a 1.5 inch rod you are going to have a 13.6 sec cycle time. Not terrible. I can see the point. Set it, and you could increase the production.
With my stuff out here the cycle time is just fast enough not to warrant auto cycle. The first attempt with a 5 inch cylinder and a 16gpm pump... defiantly could have benefited from that valve.

Your call...

Nice construction BTW

Way too hot is a sign of some restriction. if it is that second pic, those 90's on the valve might be part of it. My experience has shown that 1/2 inch hose is marginal on 16 gpm, nothing tighter than a 45 elbo. Still warmed up a bit. If you can hold your hand on the hose, it is still acceptable.
I have a 22gpm on 3/4 hose all the way and it is running 140 on the temp. A little warm, but workable. Drives off moisture that way.

Consider expanding your wedge design the the Y configuration. works well for me. doesn't jam like a 4 way can, you can get 6 splits with two stokes and a 30 deg rotation between strokes.

nice looking welds...

I know you already have a cylinder, but you could use a cylinder with a larger rod to speed up the return stroke.

As far as your valving, the best setup is to run your highest flow item circuit first, and power beyond for the other things. A wedge lift and log lift will be low use compared to the splitter ram circuit.

All the "box store" splitters I've run have gotten hot. They normally have small tanks (~5 gallons) and no way to cool the oil.

Most of the box store units have a hard line on them and its only about 3/8 internal also the most of the port connectors are only about 3/8 internal as well. dump the hard line for a 1/2" hose replace the fittings with high-flow ones and only use 45 deg ones if possible. doing this on my own unit cut the temp more than 1/2.

New one will have either 1/2 or 3/4" lines on everything. 1" on return line. I think I'm going to go with the Auto Cycle valve right away. Now I just have to find someplace to buy it. Likely end up sending my wife Stateside to get the valves.
Try www.surplus center.com for hydraulic controls and lots of interesting stuff.

I love my auto cycle valve. Wouldn't run a splitter without one now. I believe there are two versions of the valve, one with no option for power beyond and one with that option.

Back