MCCulloch 1-53 spark plug wire broke at plug?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
McCulloch 1-53 chainsaw spark plug wire broken at the 90 degree spark plug end.

I have the coil out and on the work bench and the plug wire is too short to repair and reconnect at the spark plug.

I have a solid wire core plug wire (not carbon type) replacement and a 90 degree end for the spark plug but don't know if the old spark plug wire is removable at the coil. It does not want to simply pull out of the coil tower hole.

I've replaced plug wires on the old OMC outboard motor magneto coils that just pull out of the mag coil tower but this McCulloch plug wire is anchored snug in the coil tower hole.

Anyone know if the plug wire can normally be removed somehow from the coil without ruining the coil? Is the plug wire maybe glued or twisted into the coil tower?
Coil is still good, just the old broken spark plug wire is too short?

Some of those old coils have a threaded screw tip instead of that little spike. Twist it out as if you're unscrewing it.

I'll try the surgery operation today on the mag coil. (was a real good running old 1-53 that I still use when I get a big log laying on the ground, just sit it on the log and let it cut using the saws own weight)

Saw was running good until the wire broke and weak intermittent ignition and I made a temporary test wire splice to the plug tip and it will start up and run
Just need to replace the old plug wire!

Some of those old coils have a threaded screw tip instead of that little spike. Twist it out as if you're unscrewing it.

Got the new plug wire installed into the McCulloch mag coil.
Warmed the old wire's insulation and the coil tower with a heat gun then with smooth jawed hoses pliers clamped onto the old plug wire, started wiggling and twisting and then as the wire was untwisted it started backing out. Appeared maybe a small sharp pointed sheet metal screw deep down in the tower center. The plug wire goes into the McCulloch coil tower kinda deep, maybe 1 1/2 inches.

Thanks for the tips.

Back