2 Large Redwood Trees - Care / Risk of Falling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davahad

Reaction score
Hi,

My neighbor behind my house has 2 very large Redwood Trees. The one on the left has been topped (not sure why, been that way for approx 17 years) and the one on the right has got to be at least 150 Feet tall. The sides facing my house also have the branches removed for the power lines hence the large bare spots.

About 5 years ago the neighbor to the right of the trees put in a large enclosed Gazebo structure (20'x20'x20') which is about 4 feet from the largest redwood seen in the right of the pictures.

To the left of the trees is yard and the neighbor covered up much of the yard immediately adjacent to the tree with flagstone paving.

In the last several months the neighbor with the redwood trees in their yard has added 2 office/sheds (approx 12' x 10') on either side of the largest Redwood approx 4 Feet away on either side. The Structure closest to my fence smelled strongly of cut Christmas trees for about 4-5 days after the shed was installed. Guessing this was caused by digging up the ground roots and leveling the ground to put the concrete pad down?

My question is should I be concerned by about the trees falling with much of the roots now being covered up near the trunk of the trees?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 42
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 45
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 44
Hi,

My neighbor behind my house has 2 very large Redwood Trees. The one on the left has been topped (not sure why, been that way for approx 17 years) and the one on the right has got to be at least 150 Feet tall. The sides facing my house also have the branches removed for the power lines hence the large bare spots.

About 5 years ago the neighbor to the right of the trees put in a large enclosed Gazebo structure (20'x20'x20') which is about 4 feet from the largest redwood seen in the right of the pictures.

To the left of the trees is yard and the neighbor covered up much of the yard immediately adjacent to the tree with flagstone paving.

In the last several months the neighbor with the redwood trees in their yard has added 2 office/sheds (approx 12' x 10') on either side of the largest Redwood approx 4 Feet away on either side. The Structure closest to my fence smelled strongly of cut Christmas trees for about 4-5 days after the shed was installed. Guessing this was caused by digging up the ground roots and leveling the ground to put the concrete pad down?

My question is should I be concerned by about the trees falling with much of the roots now being covered up near the trunk of the trees?[I wouldn't think you would have smelled a strong sent of Christmas trees from the redwoods or it's roots.You maybe smelled some of the Doug fir or some of the building from the framing of the shed.Redwood has a smell of it's own,and i worked climbing Ca. coastal area for many years.I wouldn't be to concerned about those trees.There pretty hardy.I think the patio rock will buckle before the tree does lol

Slightly concerned is my vote. Maybe more if the concrete company or your neighbors seem like fools.

Sounds like the power company left the weight hanging away from your house?

Which way do the winds usually blow?

I am not sure on how to properly hire an arborist to check trees on another person's property.

Checking the trees out for any changes now this work has been done is probably important.

Onsite visit from an arborist needed. Too many unknowns from the pictures. Knowledge of local area species, soils, prevailing winds, likely storm winds, how much soil is accessible to the tree, which way is the tree weighted, etc. Unfortunately all you can do to protect yourself from your neighbors trees is to notify them that they are a hazard and put your property damage (if it happens) on their insurance.

Latest posts

Back