Most snow you have gotten from a single storm

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbuildalot

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
What was your biggest? With the 5' plus Erie PA just got it has me wondering. Back in Feb of 2013 we had storm Nemo (btw naming snowstorms is kind of strange) we received 31". The April fool's day blizzard of 97' brought around the same. I think officially it was 33". I remember there being a few good blizzards in the early to mid 90's. The most I can recall for a season is around 120", or about 10' which we've had several good totals over the last decade or so with nearby Worcester being named "snowiest city in America" in recent years. "City" being a minimum of 100,000 residents

The biggest single snowstorm I can remember here in central Indiana was 22", but I wasn't alive for the blizzard of '78. We don't get a lot of big snow storms. Usually just a bunch of 3-6" storms that add up. Up north they get hammered with lake effect.

A4B60B32-FB5E-47F1-9360-C42CA30B9B4E.jpeg 6AC97687-ADC0-46E5-B77E-42D26EC288C2.jpeg 25397A47-FC0F-4B07-A389-B6A0EA16B2F2.jpeg Last may about 28”. Came fast and hard . I know we have had worse since th 90’s don’t recall totals . My 21st bday I remember we had a 3 day storm that didn’t quit . Got in the area of 3 feet with crazy drifting . Main highways closed for days . Closed roads or rare around here

Halloween snowstorm of 1991 dumped 32 inches of wet heavy snow.

I'm the spring of 2007 or 2008 we got 40" of wet snow over two separate snow storms in a single week.

Lost of storms over the years that dropped about 2'.

I lived in Buffalo for 20 years. We had a 24 hour snow dump that left almost seven feet on the ground. My f150 with a cap on the bed was 'discovered' by probing the parking area. I snow-shoed to the bar to open it up to fellow enthusiasts.

I lived in Buffalo for 20 years. We had a 24 hour snow dump that left almost seven feet on the ground. My f150 with a cap on the bed was 'discovered' by probing the parking area. I snow-shoed to the bar to open it up to fellow enthusiasts.

That's crazy. Can't imagine that much snow all at once.

We got a decent storm yesterday. 14" of powder to play in and sub zero temps through the weekend.

That's crazy. Can't imagine that much snow all at once.

It doesn't happen often, but when it does it definitely separates the 'men from the boys'. My girlfriend at the time was one of the 'men' I'm referring to. She was a tough chick with a snow shovel, and a gun, and a shot of whiskey...

Halloween snowstorm of 1991 dumped 32 inches of wet heavy snow.

I'm the spring of 2007 or 2008 we got 40" of wet snow over two separate snow storms in a single week.

Lost of storms over the years that dropped about 2'.

Yep! The Halloween blizzard was the only time they authorized county and township plows to make swipes into driveways. It was nasty.

I remember in the mid 90's we had multiple big storms really close that had lots of wind with 'em. My buddy was running his bulldozer on I-94 clearing out over passes as they were snowed shut.

None of the snow was the lake effect kind where you get 12" and it packs down to 4" by the next day.

The biggest one I was ever in was 36" over two days in Syracuse, NY, in 1973, I think. That was lake effect stuff, and the winds not were real bad.

The Blizzard of '78 in NW Ohio dumped about 24", which is a lot for that area, but the winds were >60mph for several days, which created some massive drifts(>10-20' in some spots), and a lot of power outages. Temperatures were <0 too (real temps, not windchill). I was on a state plow for 4 days straight.

My friend keeps reminding me that I missed the great storm of 1938 with 14' in one storm, but was not yet born. However the winter of 1978 was a 10 footer. It started during our Christmas parade and continued for at least 5 days. I was kind of cool since all the roads and highways were shut down for about 3 weeks. At least a 1000 homes received major damage. Most damage occurred from decks and porches falling off the sides of houses. The road to my house never got used for 6 months because of major erosion. It was great fun. Thanks

Blizzard in Jan of 2016 "officially" dumped 32" over 24 hours at the airport here in Lehigh Valley PA. At my house half way up a long ridge, I had a consistent 40" (not drifts - which were much higher)

Kicked my tail!! Was finally able to dig/plow out w/ my Jeep but fully realized why you need lockers AND chains like in high mountain passes.

I was 18 years old for that "78" blizzard. Lived back a half mile driveway on a dairy farm. 8 foot snow blower on a open station tractor to open the lane, got to the road and decided to go another mile to the state road. once we got there we realized milk truck aint coming, better round up some water tanks to put milk in.

In 2007 Mexico NY got 9 feet of snow while nearby town of Redfield almost broke a record and received 141 inches. That was over a course of like 8 days.

About 8-10 years ago we had the big East Coast storm they called "Snow-ma-geddon". I had just bid into a gravy job at UPS, shifting trailers in the yard. When our building opened most trailers were still 40 footers. When I started shifting we were processing 750 trailers a day, most 53 footers. I was really worried about starting the new job in all that snow. Then I heard on the news the Governor asked all trucking companies to shut down till further noticed. I called in to see if I had to work and my boss said you don't work for the Governor, get your butt in here. Turned out it wasn't a bad day to start. Very few loads made it in. We have 168 bays on our building and when ever you pull a trailer off the building you have to walk to the back and bang on the side of the trailer to make sure no one is inside. After a couple trailers had been on a bay you were walking on a packed snow side walk that was higher than the trailer tires, and you put your hands out on the trailers for balance. Putting a new trailer on a bay was easy, you just got the tires in the old frozen tracks and the whole trailer just slid to the center and you pushed it back. For a week after that the yard was a mess, all the late loads came in, the snow crews piled snow in dozens of inbound parking bays. I just looked it up. Feb 5-6, 2010. We had about 30" in the yard, Joe.

About 9', on a ski field in our Southern Alps. Took most of the first day thereafter to dig a tunnel out. Another day to dig out and get a tow rope going, and half a day to build a ramp and learn how to backflip. The biggest risk for stuffing it up and landing on our heads was mainly suffocation. Those were the days. There are worse places to be snowbound than a well stocked ski hut with a liquor licence.

Back