USPS... holy smokes!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is one of those issues which proves that the plural of anecdote is not data. I'm pretty sure that if you did a nationwide study, you would show that the USPS comes out worse overall than UPS or FedEx for parcels. Although they are not subsidized by tax dollars, they are a federally protected monopoly for letters, etc. This guarantees inefficiency, postage increases, and, because of the difficulty of firing people, USPS is a magnet for least common denominator type employees. Having said that, I must admit that my experience with USPS has been very good, and I strongly believe that the quality of service is dependent on the quality of the local pool of employees. About fifteen years ago I sold a fair amount of stuff on Ebay. I was then living in a suburb of Denver, and our P.O. was staffed by efficient and generally friendly employees. I had zero problems, and the postage for small packages was lower than the other carriers. I now live in Jonesboro, AR, a college town of 70,000. When I get a package, it is delivered to the door along with the rest of the mail. They ring the bell and wait for a response. Although it's not uncommon to get a misdelivered piece of mail, it's not a big problem. Your mileage may vary considerably.

This is one of those issues which proves that the plural of anecdote is not data. I'm pretty sure that if you did a nationwide study, you would show that the USPS comes out worse overall than UPS or FedEx for parcels. Although they are not subsidized by tax dollars, they are a federally protected monopoly for letters, etc. This guarantees inefficiency, postage increases, and, because of the difficulty of firing people, USPS is a magnet for least common denominator type employees. Having said that, I must admit that my experience with USPS has been very good, and I strongly believe that the quality of service is dependent on the quality of the local pool of employees. About fifteen years ago I sold a fair amount of stuff on Ebay. I was then living in a suburb of Denver, and our P.O. was staffed by efficient and generally friendly employees. I had zero problems, and the postage for small packages was lower than the other carriers. I now live in Jonesboro, AR, a college town of 70,000. When I get a package, it is delivered to the door along with the rest of the mail. They ring the bell and wait for a response. Although it's not uncommon to get a misdelivered piece of mail, it's not a big problem. Your mileage may vary considerably.
I like being retired because of George. UPS not quite delivered guy! A next day envelope was placed under an upside down tote after dark on a clear evening. It was closer to the property line than the house. He also holds delivery because the porch is not secure. I've taken photos showing the tree line parralel with the road with the only opening for the driveway making it over 200 feet from the road to see the porch. I get the impression George don't like me. I take it up with George's boss every time. Almost therapeutic to vent all my troubles onto George's screwups.
Fed ex is seventy five miles away and the best. UPS eleven miles and not wanted. USPS does okay from eleven miles opposite from UPS who drops skids of parcels at the Post office dock!
Stay safe and enjoy

I like being retired because of George. UPS not quite delivered guy! A next day envelope was placed under an upside down tote after dark on a clear evening. It was closer to the property line than the house. He also holds delivery because the porch is not secure. I've taken photos showing the tree line parralel with the road with the only opening for the driveway making it over 200 feet from the road to see the porch. I get the impression George don't like me. I take it up with George's boss every time. Almost therapeutic to vent all my troubles onto George's screwups.
Fed ex is seventy five miles away and the best. UPS eleven miles and not wanted. USPS does okay from eleven miles opposite from UPS who drops skids of parcels at the Post office dock!
Stay safe and enjoy
I insure

Latest posts

Back