Remington Chainsaws(including Mall chainsaws)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Y've heard that same story about the buzz saw blade coming off.It's a good thing that we don't rely on them anymore! My God,it'd cut a man in half.
We still use buzz saws to make firewood; when they're sharpened right, they will embarrass almost any chainsaw.

They put the fear of God in you, if it wasn't there already. [emoji106]

Wow! You still use a buzz saw.Around here if there are any left they tend to be a lawn ornament.I think most people have junked them because of the safety issues involved & you could pretty much only cut limb wood with them.Plus,they couldn't go where a chainsaw could go.I've seen a couple of different styles - one was on a stand on the ground with a belt attached to a pulley on a tractor,the other style was directly mounted on a tractor with a belt attached to a pulley on the tractor.I might be mistaken,but wasn't there another style that was operated by PTO?

Wow! You still use a buzz saw.Around here if there are any left they tend to be a lawn ornament.I think most people have junked them because of the safety issues involved & you could pretty much only cut limb wood with them.Plus,they couldn't go where a chainsaw could go.I've seen a couple of different styles - one was on a stand on the ground with a belt attached to a pulley on a tractor,the other style was directly mounted on a tractor with a belt attached to a pulley on the tractor.I might be mistaken,but wasn't there another style that was operated by PTO?
We have 3 different styles, one that's staked into the ground, one that mounts on the front of the tractor, and one that gets pulled behind the tractor and powered by the PTO. I think there's also a 3-pt version, but we don't have a tractor to run one of those. The rig that mounts onto the front of the tractor (ours will be on the front of a '41 JD "A") will go almost anywhere. Just drive up to your wood and cut.

With a 32" blade, you can cut about a 12" log without having to turn the log. Wouldn't want to cut anything bigger that that with one, as getting it on the table would be too much work.

My dad has an old ACME rig specifically made for sharpening the buzz saw blades, if I remember correctly, it'll sharpen up to a 36" blade. He also has all the tools for setting kerf and such. A nice, sharp buzz saw blade is hard to beat.

Here's a PL-7A I repainted with an IH red rattle can...
a71e38efcdb39bb8885fd47a76baa3dd.jpg

That PL-7 is a sweet loking saw! It briongs back memories of my first saw that my dad bought for me when I was about 15.It was an SL-9.I wish I still had that saw.I looked on the Bay about a month ago & they had one,but it was a sorry sight - no paint,looked like it'd been through a war zone.

ML12,that SL-9 is sharp! Just the way I remembered mine.I believe I had a 16 in.bar on mine.I only went through about two chains on that saw,she had plenty of life left in her & then my dipstick uncle got his hands on it & he junked it.He had no idea what he was doing & I don't think he ever even touched it.I know the recoil was buggered up on it,but other than that was in good shape.

Rocketnorton,how much for your SL-9?

Back