Crappy Chinese Workmanship Explained

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE="BangBang77, post: 6752460, member: 155608”]It's not so much their business mindset that drives this, but rather their geo-political long term strategy of global dominance. Yes, their economy is almost bankrupt as a result of their business model, but they are playing chess, while us westerners are playing checkers. In less than 10 years they went from the largest importer of steel to the largest exporter, surpassing all western nations combined. They ain't dumb. They understand western greed and know most folks in our neck of the woods don't buy for quality but rather for quantity.[/QUOTE]

In this regard, I think they really are kind of dumb. They think they’re getting over on us, but if they had put that extra 10% into making their products rather than cutting corners they’d dominate the world already. Just imagine what the current trade situation would be if Chinese products didn’t suck.

I think that gives too much credit to the chinese businessman. They aren't thinking global domination. No way. Day to day hurdles with uneducated workforce will create some of these issues, not to mention central government screwing you daily. No way is there is a master plan, playing chess while we re playing checkers. I think you discount eastern and western greed wanting an immediate return on investment. The chinese business man is trying to stay ahead of the useless and corrupt central government control. The sad part is the western businesses that sell out long term strengths in the US market for short term profits offshoring to crappy chinese manufacturing. All done while basing profits on the dollar. Corrupt and shortsighted.

Actually, some Chinese products don't suck. I bought a Big Bertha driver several years ago and it's been great, couldn't ask for better but it had the "made in China" sticker on it...
I’ve painted quite a few houses with my $189 Krause and Becker spraygun, but in general, Chinese products do suck. For every cheap and functional spraygun I’ve purchased I’ve also bought a set of drill bits that couldn’t go through hardwoods or an air compressor that quit working after a month. By and large I think I’ve done alright with Chinese tools, but with very little effort they could have done so much better.

The best explanation I ever heard was from a guy having hand well pumps cast in China. He went to the factory with blueprints and explained what he wanted and expected and what the end product had to do. Okay boss! First shipment gets to the US and 75% of the castings are unusable with pits and missing sections, etc. He calls the plant and explains again what he needs. Okay boss! Next shipment get to him and 50% of the castings are unusable with pits and missing sections. He hops on a plane and goes back to China to the plant. He stands at the lend of the line with the plant boss and starts picking out the acceptable pump castings. Suddenly, a light bulb appears over the palnt bosses head. "OH! You only want the GOOD ONES!!!!!" After that, every casting recv'd in the US was flawless.

That's the difference. Thy were used to making stuff for a price and you got what you got. He made it clear he wasn't accepting that. End of story.

The best explanation I ever heard was from a guy having hand well pumps cast in China. He went to the factory with blueprints and explained what he wanted and expected and what the end product had to do. Okay boss! First shipment gets to the US and 75% of the castings are unusable with pits and missing sections, etc. He calls the plant and explains again what he needs. Okay boss! Next shipment get to him and 50% of the castings are unusable with pits and missing sections. He hops on a plane and goes back to China to the plant. He stands at the lend of the line with the plant boss and starts picking out the acceptable pump castings. Suddenly, a light bulb appears over the palnt bosses head. "OH! You only want the GOOD ONES!!!!!" After that, every casting recv'd in the US was flawless.

That's the difference. Thy were used to making stuff for a price and you got what you got. He made it clear he wasn't accepting that. End of story.
Sounds right from what I have heard.

Well known story. '
I have a screwed up piston, and a cylinder with aluminum wear on the inside.

The cheapest solution is to order a ~10 dollar piston from China,
and see if I can get it work again.

In the meantime,
I can search for a good used or original kit for the right price.

An Italian made Meteor kit is perhaps a good and affordable alternative

At the bottomline: it is just how much learning-money you want to pay...

Not taking sides in this one, I've seen crappy stuff built in many places. I used to work in a couple of American factories and have seen all kinds of crappy things made from crappy workers. Sometimes the younger workers did it just for fun, usually the older guys didn't want to risk their job just to have a little fun, they'd rather go to the rest area...

cha不多

Aftermarket parts quality is not a mistake or oversight. I was reading an article from my favorite car site and they say this

There’s a concept, an attitude, in Chinese culture, called “chabuduo.” An essay in Aeon describes it as cutting corners, getting something only 70 percent done instead of 100, or as we’d say in America, “good enough for government work.” It stems in part from a DIY ethos, predominant among people who, until fairly recently, didn’t often have much but made it work.

So this crap is part of the fabric of the new capitalist China. I was kinda shocked to see it in writing, explained and it makes sense, the photo of the porch collapse is telling in that article, just part of life. China has become the land of disastrous corner cutting. Wow. The aeon article is eye popping.

god are we stupid for putting up with that crap. i read where economically they are near collapse internally, no wonder.

https://jalopnik.com/i-went-to-china-to-race-a-new-car-then-things-got-weir-1829220792
https://aeon.co/essays/what-chinese-corner-cutting-reveals-about-modernity
I'm confused. Why would you start this thread when you are the biggest salesman and proponent of their products? No one supports and promotes them more than you do.

I'm in the parts business full time and have been since 2003.

https://cliffshighperformance.com/

For the most part, folks come on these threads and say that price isn't the deal and will buy better parts of USA manufacturer instead of cheaper off-shore stuff of lesser quality.

I'm calling BS on that deal, at least for the masses because nearly EVERYONE "Googles" this **** to death to find the absolute lowest price and they expect "free shipping" with it.

There isn't a day goes by I don't get one (usually quite a few) calls to the shop where someone just rebuilt their carburetor and it's not working well. The FIRST question I ask them is "where did you buy your parts/kit?". They usually dance all around the answer, but typically end up telling me it was an Ebay purchase or something for pennies on the dollar they "googled up".

At that point were are DEAD in the water and I won't provide any further assistance. So much for my "free tech" line, however, IF you bought a bunch of off-shore crap to do the job, and the end result is below par, we have to get past that deal before I can continue to help. So I'm going to sell you the right parts, highest quality in the industry, and after you install them feel free to call me if it still isn't making the grade.....but most likely it will be!

Of course we still run into folks who need to stay away from this sort of thing and keep their day job, and we'll get a call back, go over some things, nothing will help, then they'll send it here and we'll quickly find at least half a dozen issues with it caused by incorrect assembly/adjustments, part bent all out of whack, passages totally plugged up, leaking from factory plugs, etc, etc. So doing your own work just isn't for everyone, but if a guy is trying to save his hard earned money certainly nothing wrong with taking a shot at it.

Getting back to cost, IF my statements above weren't true we wouldn't see nearly everything we go to purchase these days being imported. Outsourcing is killing our economy and putting ten of thousands of folks out of work daily. Even worse the folks overseas who are filling their pockets are allowed to come over here and buy businesses and property. It's a "slow death" of the American dream and no one really seems to be doing much about it, and for sure you'd better take a few language classes in Spanish and Chinese if you plan on living another 20 years or so.......FWIW......Cliff

I'm confused. Why would you start this thread when you are the biggest salesman and proponent of their products? No one supports and promotes them more than you do.
I think I had something to do with this or another thread just like it. I was trying to find a set of main bearings to replace the damaged ones on a Stihl MS311 but didn't want to pay the high price of the Stihl items. If I replace everything with Stihl I will have surpassed the price of the saw if you count labor and current price of said saw in used condition.

I have ordered new oil seals for the 372xp on ebay.
For a total amount of 2.68 euros it was sent from Vietnam.
For that money I can not even drive to the local Husqvarna dealer!

For lightly loaded parts I dare to bet the guess, after all it is for personal use.
And when it fails I have to repair it myself.

I would not repair someone else's tools with cheap parts,
provided the customer asks for it and does not demand guarantees...

The cheap China parts separate the men from the boys. They are serviceable if you check them and fix as needed. Top notch parts can give an assembler the impression that he is a “builder” but break out imperfect parts and it’s a new ball game.

1228182258a.jpg 1228182259_Burst01.jpg 1228182258.jpg 1228182300.jpg after I received my 361 kit and got a bad case that hustle was not willing to replace I ordered this one from HL Supply looks like better quality and made in a different mold don't know if it's made by the same company or not

I have ordered new oil seals for the 372xp on ebay.
For a total amount of 2.68 euros it was sent from Vietnam.
For that money I can not even drive to the local Husqvarna dealer!

For lightly loaded parts I dare to bet the guess, after all it is for personal use.
And when it fails I have to repair it myself.

I would not repair someone else's tools with cheap parts,
provided the customer asks for it and does not demand guarantees...
Several of my customers have asked for their saws be repaired the cheapest way possible, I'm guessing they were thinking the saw had about had it and were thinking of buying a new one later. When they ask for cheapest I sure wouldn't put a $250 or higher piston and cylinder in them.

Several of my customers have asked for their saws be repaired the cheapest way possible, I'm guessing they were thinking the saw had about had it and were thinking of buying a new one later. When they ask for cheapest I sure wouldn't put a $250 or higher piston and cylinder in them.
I used to do a lot of the patch it up for cheap automotive work for folks. It got real old trying to manage expectations. People want it done cheap cheap and then will complain when it’s not quite perfect or doesn’t last as long as they had envisioned.

Back