need help on wood stove purchase tonight!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaronmach1

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
my dad has a 24x28 barn he wants to heat with wood. Hes going to try and make a burner out of an old water heater he said. I would like to surprise him tonight and drop this off for him. He doesnt want anything big and doesnt want a furnace type. I found this and was shocked by the price. Can anyone offer any opinions on this one at tsc? Somone mentioned putting firebricks in it on bottom and sides. How would that work on the sides? Just stand them up? dont they tip over? thanks guys heres the link:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/united-states-stove-cast-iron-logwood-stove-large

also he just wants one for temporary heat while hes out there maybe a few hours at a time. Its not going to be burning constant or overnight.

I use a englander nc13 in my shop around that size that heats give even at 20 degrees works great and not made in China like the tsc stuff

Cant see the price in the link but other wis it looks like a decent stove..
another place to look for stoves is craigslist, there are some great deals on some old north america iron if you have a bit of patience...

Unless the shop is super insulated that little stove isn't going to do much to heat it in a couple of hours! Going to have to burn alot longer than that with a stove that small to see a major temp. increase when extremely cold out.

im just thinking it will be better for him to try rather than rig up somthing out of an old water heater. anyone know anything about putting firebrick in it?

There is no room for wood in there now, never mind adding brick! Most of the people that I know that have bought those teeny tiny fire-in-a-box stoves have been sorely disappointed. A barrel type stove kit may actually work better.
Are you sure that building a stove isn't gonna be half the fun for him? If I wanted to build one, someone buying me one would be no fun. Jus sayin. Awful nice of ya though!

There is no room for wood in there now, never mind adding brick! Most of the people that I know that have bought those teeny tiny fire-in-a-box stoves have been sorely disappointed. A barrel type stove kit may actually work better.
Are you sure that building a stove isn't gonna be half the fun for him? If I wanted to build one, someone buying me one would be no fun. Jus sayin. Awful nice of ya though!
i just saw it took a 28" log and assumed it held enough wood. was actually just looking at barrel stove kits right before typing this, i may give them a look now. thanks guys

I'd be wary of that thing. I know a few friends that had them. They don't hold up so good. One didn't make a full winter. You'd be farther ahead with a double barrel kit and making it yourself.

i just saw it took a 28" log and assumed it held enough wood. was actually just looking at barrel stove kits right before typing this, i may give them a look now. thanks guys
THAT THREW ME OFF AS WELL, I STILL STANY BY LOOKING AT CRAIGSLIST ECT FOR AN OLDER TAKE OUT... STUPIN CAPS HA HA
Im not shouting BTW :)

Those tsc Chinese stoves are put together like a puzzle and held with
Chimney paste gunk . Sounds like price is a big concern for you. . Check the ones on Craigslist good because a lot of time they have been over fired and could be cracked or unusable behind the firebricks

im just thinking it will be better for him to try rather than rig up somthing out of an old water heater. anyone know anything about putting firebrick in it?

If it was up to me,I'd put fire brick on the bottom only.Those little stoves can throw a lot of heat IF a damper in the stove pipe is used.Some of those stoves have a damper installed right in the stove to pipe adaptor on the stove itself.

Latest posts

Back