Air filters?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I’m not new to the nylon mesh filters I wash them with ether once I split them. The paper filters are something different. I just blow them carefully. But I been replacing the paper filters with the nylon mesh filters if I have a choice. I’m afraid to wash the paper filters.
What filters do you like and how do you clean the paper filters?

I think you may get a few different answers based on people's personal preferences and cutting environments. Here where I cut in the East, the trees are mostly thin barked hardwood and relatively clean, so I prefer the mesh filters. If I was cutting a lots of thick barked dirty softwood, I would prefer to use a flocked filter. I have never owned any chainsaw with a paper filter, but on other equipment I either just replace them, or tap them out then give a dusting with the air gun from the inside out.

I generally just tap the paper filters on a work bench to knock the dust out of them, and replace on a regular basis.
I don't like to blow them out with compresses air, I've seen people blow holes through the paper.

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

Flock filters are a pain, they just hold the dust, and are impossible to clean out on the job. Saws like the 201t come with them fitted as standard here in the UK and after a few weeks of sucking in bar oil and dust they are clogged up I have lost count of the saws brought to me to fix as they were not running properly due to this. You can blow them out with an airline all day long and still not clean them ! Long life hd2 filters fitted to modern Stihls are pretty good but in my book you can't beat the old mesh filters on the old saws, remove, tap on a log, refit and carry on...

Flock filters are a pain, they just hold the dust, and are impossible to clean out on the job. Saws like the 201t come with them fitted as standard here in the UK and after a few weeks of sucking in bar oil and dust they are clogged up I have lost count of the saws brought to me to fix as they were not running properly due to this.
Dude, just put filters in a couple cups of your mixed gas every once in a while. Slosh em around a bit, then blow em out. And maybe check your air filters more than once every few weeks for saws that are used daily...

Dude, just put filters in a couple cups of your mixed gas every once in a while. Slosh em around a bit, then blow em out. And maybe check your air filters more than once every few weeks for saws that are used daily...
Hi, sorry I wasn't very clear with my post, yes I do clean out my own personal saws on a daily basis , I was referring to saws of the crew that come in for repair, usually the oil pump is turned up to max and filters are clogged, and wonder why they run rich and not tick over, they are brutal with saws!

I hate the flocked filters the oil attracts the wood chips so they stick to them if there no cleaned till dry. I wash the nylon screens with ether. I wonder if I can wash the flocked filters too? After cutting my filters get cleaned. My saws get serviced before I shower and eat.

When I inspect a used saw the first thing is to remove the top cover and check for dirt around the carb area. The pull the air filter and look inside the manifold the connects the air filter to the carb for dirt. If it’s really bad the dirt made its way into the crankcase that’s bad. Add a bottom end rebuild to the price tag too. Haggle for a lesser price.

Can the flocked air filters be blow out from the inside with reduced air pressure without blowing holes in them?

Yes. But they never come really clean. It’s a plot to sell air filters...ps, just hold the air gun farther away from the filter and blow at an angle, not straight on.

Imo.

I think I’d prefer oiled foam over paper. I definitely prefer mesh over paper.

Has anyone put a nylon ...like lady nylon stocking over the Flocked filter. I use to have RD400 I built into 3 wheeler to run in the sand on west coast. I ran K&N filters with a nylon over them, I just had to be careful not to stretch the nylon to much and open up the weave. I just had to pull the sock off worked pretty good never had a problem with it.

I did that too on various bikes. It made it easy to strip off the dirt between motos.

I think lots of chainsaw freaks are/were dirt riders. They are freaked right out, and rightly so, about dirt injestion.

Powersaws do not operate in the same environment, therefore a fine mesh filter is plenty adequate in nearly all sawing conditions. Modern saws injest particulate AROUND the filter, for the most part, not through it. This is sad from a design standpoint. My oldest saws (having mesh filters) remain clean and require no grease, no o-rings or any other finigling to do so.

Has anyone put a nylon ...like lady nylon stocking over the Flocked filter. I use to have RD400 I built into 3
wheeler to run in the sand on west coast. I ran K&N filters with a nylon over them, I just had to be careful not to stretch the nylon to much and open up the weave. I just had to pull the sock off worked pretty good never had a problem with it.

I was just thinking about what I do on the cub cadets I put a green foam precleaner over the paper air filter. It keep the paper filter looking new. Since there’s a lot of different paper air filters I use the larger green foam filters and cut and staple them to fit as I need them.

One new mesh filter should outlast my lifetime. I purchased six flocked air cleaners for my sons 570. I told him to change it everyday when cutting.

Latest posts

Back