Removing raised garden around tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Perry

Reaction score
About 25 years ago I built a raised flower garden around a then 15-25 year old silver maple. It is about 8 inches deep and 15 ft diameter. No problems as far as I can tell, tree seems healthy. I have since read that it was not a good idea. I now want to remove the garden and have started the project by removing 3 wheel barrels of dirt and some border stone. I would like to use the dirt and stones for other projects. A neighbor mentioned to be very careful since tree roots were growing into the garden dirt, so I'm pausing until I get more info. There isn't much on the web that I can find and I have not talked to a arborist. I have over the years cut out small roots to make way for flowers, no problem with the tree as far as I can tell.

Any advice or suggestions ? Love the tree, but have no need for the garden around it.

About 25 years ago I built a raised flower garden around a then 15-25 year old silver maple. It is about 8 inches deep and 15 ft diameter. No problems as far as I can tell, tree seems healthy. I have since read that it was not a good idea. I now want to remove the garden and have started the project by removing 3 wheel barrels of dirt and some border stone. I would like to use the dirt and stones for other projects. A neighbor mentioned to be very careful since tree roots were growing into the garden dirt, so I'm pausing until I get more info. There isn't much on the web that I can find and I have not talked to a arborist. I have over the years cut out small roots to make way for flowers, no problem with the tree as far as I can tell.

Any advice or suggestions ? Love the tree, but have no need for the garden around it.

site pictures capturing the tree and lay of land would really help us here

Attachments

• view 1.JPG
    view 1.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 30
  • view 2.JPG
    view 2.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 29
  • view 4.JPG
    view 4.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 28
  • view 5.JPG
    view 5.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
  • view 6.JPG
    view 6.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 29
I dont too see much that bothers me if you were remove them rocks and rake work away 70 -80 % top soil. Being mindful not to impact structural roots to much and when done consider applying some loose mulch on the exposed area to preserver moisture keep roots zone & lower trunk flare bark cool for summer while tree adjusts to new surface.

Yes it'l
Here a few I hope helps - thanks for responding.
Yes it should be fine.
Just remove soil, replace with some mulch and keep the same sized canopy drop ring.
You could even keep the stone ring for looks. I like it myself. It make your yard tree look unique in the neighborhood of all the other yard trees.

I agree with previous posters, not much to worry about. looks like a silver maple, they are vigorous trees and that one looks large and healhy with nice flared roots. the root system extends roughly under the canopy so that little shallow ring is hardly an impact. still, you might want to be careful not to expose too much at once as it could add undue risk for disease or stress. I think you're pretty safe even to completely remove it but leaving some protection from lawnmowing might be a plus.

Latest posts

Back