New 550xp mark II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just holding the power heads of a Mk I and a Mk II in my hands, without bars on them. No way to really get a feel for balance that way, wouldn't want to comment much on that. That's the way my shop displays all their saws, not much need to do it any other way for their customer base (who are just going to request their preferred bar at purchase anyway), but not how most shops do it.

I could feel the extra pound on the Mk II though.

Haven't picked up my friend's 261 yet to kind of finalize my next decision; am planting trees for the next 6 weeks anyway and will purchase then. But overall just leaning towards another Mk I as my 2016 version has been so solid. And that way I can keep it simple, because I can be stupid.
Was that up to Ebles, I called them as soon as I seen one on their site, then they said they weren't in stock yet :nofunny:.
It is hard to get much of a feel for a saw just by picking it up even with a bar. When I picked up a 572G for the first time it resembled the 576 in weight which was disappointing, but as soon as I ran the saw and felt how flickable it was I knew which of those two I would rather be running(just reminded myself I need to list the 576 :)).
Picking up the 550 ne (I'm sick of calling it the mark II ) I had the same feeling as with the 572 except it felt heavier than the 550 oe, I'm hoping that when it's fired up and running it will be the one I'd rather run. Being honest I don't think it will make me sell the 2016 oe I currently have, it's been a great saw. I should probably get the oe out when I'm ready to run the ne and see how they compare. I think it may get ran a little longer before I grab the 70cc saw which may be advantageous on some jobs.
Here's my new to me 550 ne hopefully next week I'll get it out and run it a bit.
Screen Shot 2019-05-31 at 9.55.36 AM.png

Was at my local saw shop this week handling various saws off the shelf.

I found the new 550xp mkII to be noticeably heavier than version 1. Felt solid and looks well built, but at just a few ounces shy of 12 lbs, for a 50cc saw it's far too close in weight to my [email protected] lbs. If they had been able to make this new version into 55cc and come in at this same near 12 lb weight, it would have made more sense to me.

I bought a 261 c-m / 16 inch bar for the lighter weight and more HP than the 550xp version 1.

Additionally the Stihl on sale, was $150 CDN less expensive than the new Husky - made it an easy decision!

-

I found the new 550xp mkII to be noticeably heavier than version 1. Felt solid and looks well built, but at just a few ounces shy of 12 lbs, for a 50cc saw it's far too close in weight to my [email protected] lbs. If they had been able to make this new version into 55cc and come in at this same near 12 lb weight, it would have made more sense to me.

I bought a 261 c-m / 16 inch bar for the lighter weight and more HP than the 550xp version 1.

Additionally the Stihl on sale, was $150 CDN less expensive than the new Husky - made it an easy decision!

-
Congrats on the new saw :).
Different strokes for different folks, its what keeps the manufactures on thier toes.
Hope you enjoy the 261, I like that the handle angle isnt straight like stihls have been in the past.

Congrats on the new saw :).
Different strokes for different folks, its what keeps the manufactures on thier toes.
Hope you enjoy the 261, I like that the handle angle isnt straight like stihls have been in the past.

Thanks ... ya the new 261 c-m feels pretty nice to me (felt real light with the 18" bar but I ordered a 16") and I too liked the new handle positioning and slimmer ergonomics of this newer 261 c-m version than the previous 261.

Cheers,

Thanks ... ya the new 261 c-m feels pretty nice to me (real light with the 16" bar) and I too liked the new handle positioning and slimmer ergonomics of this newer 261 c-m version than the previous 261.

Cheers,
Welcome.
I hve the version 2 also, it has a mm and wears 16" picco, it does well. I still prefer my 550 oe over it though, it doesnt feel a bit heavier. The 550 ne is obviously heavier when just holding it, but we'll see how it feels running sometime soon.

Welcome.
I hve the version 2 also, it has a mm and wears 16" picco, it does well. I still prefer my 550 oe over it though, it doesnt feel a bit heavier. The 550 ne is obviously heavier when just holding it, but we'll see how it feels running sometime soon.

did the mm make much difference - the 261 c-m feels pretty strong as is for a 50cc saw.
I'm going to be running .325 for the time being. How do you find the picco in dirty wood?

Agreed, for many of us, good dealer service is essential, mine offers both Husky and Stihl and I am long time 346xp user (and several saws before that) who started cutting larger wood again a few years back, and love my 562xp.

However, for anyone with some hours on their body clock and still likes to work out on the slopes (I wouldn't have worried about it as much 50 years ago), the lighter the better and the lighter 50cc and 70 cc combo now is: Stihl 261 c-m and 462 c-m

The 462 c-m's low weight is a game changer for the 70cc class and we'll see how the new 550xp Mk2 fares against the now lighter 261 c-m.

Just curious? For BC Fallers, is Stihl the predominate dealership in the community?

did the mm make much difference - the 261 c-m feels pretty strong as is for a 50cc saw.
I'm going to be running .325 for the time being. How do you find the picco in dirty wood?
I never ran this saw without it, but I'm sure it helps. I had another version 2 back when they first came out that was stock and was disappointed, not that it didn't have good power, but because I believed all the hype thinking it would be far ahead of the 550 oe :dumb:. That saw was broke in and ran well, but I let it go pretty quick as I was really hoping for more, unfortunately it was just another modern day 50cc saw. I'm not expecting the 550 ne to beat an oe 550 by leaps and bounds, but I still want to try it for myself and not just listen to others talk about it. As ive said before if it performs and feels like a 254xp then I'm sure I will enjoy it even with the added weight.
Picco is okay in dirty wood, but I think 325 would hold up better. Theres no reason for most not to run 3/8 on a 550 or a 261 for that matter, guys have been running 3/8 on saws with the same hp for a long time and they do just fine. I like running picco chain on jobs where the cleanup is more of a concern as the small chips are easier to disperse with a backpack blower than larger chips from 3/8, but for most this isnt a big deal.

Was that up to Ebles, I called them as soon as I seen one on their site, then they said they weren't in stock yet :nofunny:.
It is hard to get much of a feel for a saw just by picking it up even with a bar. When I picked up a 572G for the first time it resembled the 576 in weight which was disappointing, but as soon as I ran the saw and felt how flickable it was I knew which of those two I would rather be running(just reminded myself I need to list the 576 :)).
Picking up the 550 ne (I'm sick of calling it the mark II ) I had the same feeling as with the 572 except it felt heavier than the 550 oe, I'm hoping that when it's fired up and running it will be the one I'd rather run. Being honest I don't think it will make me sell the 2016 oe I currently have, it's been a great saw. I should probably get the oe out when I'm ready to run the ne and see how they compare. I think it may get ran a little longer before I grab the 70cc saw which may be advantageous on some jobs.
Here's my new to me 550 ne hopefully next week I'll get it out and run it a bit.
View attachment 738908
Why is it missing parts and it's dirty? Sooo unlike you! :):buttkick:

Why is it missing parts and it's dirty? Sooo unlike you! :):buttkick:
What parts are missing o_O. It's dirty because I haven't ran it yet, as soon as I get a B&C on it and put it in some wood I'll get it all cleaned off.
Haven't felt good for the last two weeks and I've had to use what strength I have for important things, unfortunately now I'm feeling a little rough again :baba:, and we didn't stay for the after party :surprised3:.
Last night was a big night for my daughter, I was ready to cut the cake...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 9.38.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-29 at 9.38.42 AM.png
    693.2 KB · Views: 77
What parts are missing o_O. It's dirty because I haven't ran it yet, as soon as I get a B&C on it and put it in some wood I'll get it all cleaned off.
Haven't felt good for the last two weeks and I've had to use what strength I have for important things, unfortunately now I'm feeling a little rough again :baba:, and we didn't stay for the after party :surprised3:.
I do not see a chain in that box or on saw. :buttkick: Hope you are feeling well soon!:yes:

I do not see a chain in that box or on saw. :buttkick: Hope you are feeling well soon!:yes:
Chains ain't parts, thems' consumables like fuel :buttkick:.
Pretty sure there's one in there, I think it's a 325, might set it up for 3/8 and make a nice square chain I just need to see what bars I have for it.

ditto ... get well soon Chipper1 - looking forward to hearing how the new saw runs. :)

I pulled the trigger today. I hope. Went with XPG - Mark One. Only IIs on the shelves now. My dealer picked up the phone and asked Charlotte for just one more; answer was “maybe.”

I would have done this weeks and weeks ago if not for the joys of buying job materials for a gov’t contract.

This thing is a rev monster. Especially compared to my older machines
Pleasure to work with
Fiersty little thing.

-
You are seeing what I see. To close to my 562xp
I believe this was created for the 572xp owner, not a 562xp
For me,there is a gap in current Husky Pro lineup beneath 562
Stihl? Really?

I did not handle them, but physically side by side on the shelf the mkII and 562 look VERY similar in size. Wasn't "heavy" and "bulky" the complaint about the 5100s and 5105? I like those so maybe once I get one in wood I'll like it too. Tough to justify $200 more for the orange one though...

I did not handle them, but physically side by side on the shelf the mkII and 562 look VERY similar in size. Wasn't "heavy" and "bulky" the complaint about the 5100s and 5105? I like those so maybe once I get one in wood I'll like it too. Tough to justify $200 more for the orange one though...
Better find a used one then :D.
When you swinging by with that weed whipper saw so we can compare a few.

Back