Looking for area to cut in Southwest Idaho

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devoe1873

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. We are looking for a general area to cut in Southwest Idaho.
We are near Emmett. Don't want to steal anyone's honey hole but not sure which direction to start looking.
We don't use a splitter so Lodgepole, Doug fir and Tammarack would be good. Would like to get about 4 cords this year.

Thank you,
Bill

Hi Bill, welcome to the site!! I was raised on a dairy farm between Middleton & Emmett and heated primarily with wood (late 60's - early 70's). We got our wood on State & National forest land with wood cutting permits from both agencies. The permits were fairly inexpensive but limited you to how much wood you could cut. Wood had to be dead standing or dead on the ground. We gathered wood this way for many years. Check with your local State & National Forest offices and ask about wood cutting permits

I grew up in the South Eastern part of Washington State. Was also employed by the USDA and what I learned is that the ares are a moving target. There have been fires and will be fires all throughout your area which will open up areas for salvage operations. State and federal land have ranger personnel that will direct you to areas they want people in. Some thing that I have always been aware of is to work with contractors who are logging or tree trimming. If you only want twelve cords a year it will hardly be worth any effort other than go to your ranger station and buy some permits. Thanks

Latest posts

Back