Husquavarna 440 stripped spark plug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
got a husquavarna 440 with a stripped spark plug hole. Other than that saw looks brand new besides it’s dirty. Should I helicoil it or just buy a new jug. I see on hl supply oem rebuild kits are about 60 dollars right now which is more than double what I paid for the saw but is still cheaper than I thought.

If it’s the 440 x-torq model I wouldn’t put too much money and effort into it. The ones that have come through my shop won’t oil the chain properly. The non-adjustable system is pretty much useless in my opinion.

If it’s the 440 x-torq model I wouldn’t put too much money and effort into it. The ones that have come through my shop won’t oil the chain properly. The non-adjustable system is pretty much useless in my opinion.
I only paid 30 dollars for it and it’s real clean so I’d like to do something with it

I took it all apart to take top end off and and crank seals have weird gouge marks on them on the inside. Each one has two straight across from each other. Is this where the seal on the bottom of the jug hit them? And is the seal permatex or a pre made gasket

There’s a stripped sparkplug fix that uses a threaded sleeve. Pull the cylinder, rethread the hole with the piloted tap that comes in the kit. Install the threaded sleeve with loctite and your good to go.

There’s a stripped sparkplug fix that uses a threaded sleeve. Pull the cylinder, rethread the hole with the piloted tap that comes in the kit. Install the threaded sleeve with loctite and your good to go.
Couldn't you install it with the cylinder intact , remove the muffler and stuff a shop towel or rag inside the cylinder
to keep shavings out.

got a husquavarna 440 with a stripped spark plug hole. Other than that saw looks brand new besides it’s dirty. Should I helicoil it or just buy a new jug. I see on hl supply oem rebuild kits are about 60 dollars right now which is more than double what I paid for the saw but is still cheaper than I thought.
you have to make a brass bushing on a lathe,tap that stripped hole and insert it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Couldn't you install it with the cylinder intact , remove the muffler and stuff a shop towel or rag inside the cylinder
to keep shavings out.
You could but even one shaving could cause series damage. With a carboned up and sticky cylinder dome, this could be a problem.
There’s the right way to do it and then there’s every other way that increases your chances of failure

Like all threading one starts with the starter or running tap just to get the thread started, they are tapered and sort of self centering, sort of does not mean perfectly but close enough usually, the bottoming tap can and will finish the threads even on cylinders with a bump or tab just in from the plug.

Back