McCullough ID help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
McCulloch

Long black cover with the rounded edges, one piece muffler, and the rubber grip on the rear handle make it more likely to be a 300 or 380.

McCulloch 300 1.JPG

The Super 250 normally had a full wrap bar (like the 1-5X saws) and holes in the AF cover. The Super 250 had the better muffler with the clamp as well.

DSCN1610.jpg

There was a European version of the Super 250 (295?) that may have been different. A Super 250 block would have the number 62481 for the early saws. I have one Super 250 with nothing stamped on it at all.

Mark

No me either, I’m a total noob with regard mccullough...I think I have one somewhere but just bought it and put it away.
This one looks quite rough with bits aesthetic and functional missing.
Thank you for the input.
If I get it I will post pictures

I think it's a 300, for no other reason it was one of the small number of saws McCulloch attempted to sell in Europe. I don't remember the 380 ever being offered officially but my memory is not what it used to be.
If I remember correctly McCulloch had the saws shipped in kit form from the US and assembled in Belgium to get around tariffs, and some differ in detail difference from their US brethren. It was a short lived experiment.

You sometimes find these old US saws for sale in Europe, chiefly Homelite XL-12 (not imported officially but several exim firms bought them by the container in the US and sold them here to tractor workshops and the like) and while parts are extra easy to get from the US remember shipping charges from the US can amount to more than the parts you are after. Two crankshaft seals: $10. Shipping: $25. I'll have what they are having. :envy:
Remember these are not especially sought after saws and are very common in the US, so working or not they aren't worth a whole lot of money.

I think it's a 300, for no other reason it was one of the small number of saws McCulloch attempted to sell in Europe. I don't remember the 380 ever being offered officially but my memory is not what it used to be.
If I remember correctly McCulloch had the saws shipped in kit form from the US and assembled in Belgium to get around tariffs, and some differ in detail difference from their US brethren. It was a short lived experiment.

You sometimes find these old US saws for sale in Europe, chiefly Homelite XL-12 (not imported officially but several exim firms bought them by the container in the US and sold them here to tractor workshops and the like) and while parts are extra easy to get from the US remember shipping charges from the US can amount to more than the parts you are after. Two crankshaft seals: $10. Shipping: $25. I'll have what they are having. :envy:
Remember these are not especially sought after saws and are very common in the US, so working or not they aren't worth a whole lot of money.
Good points and a timely reminder, thank you.
So far, with the exception of an 090 and a Dolmar CT, I do not buy saws simply to flip and make money on...I expect that is very hard to do and for the money made possibly not worth the effort

Latest posts

Back