026 Cylinder Failure - Too Much Honing???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gritz

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Okay, so this is the story. I'm trying to build a saw for my brother-in-law on the cheap. I took a burnt up piston and cylinder and honed the cylinder to get the aluminum transfer off. Then I installed a new Meteor piston and rings, fuel line, fuel filter, impulse line, intake boot, and oil seals. I got it running fine, had 145-150 psi of compression. I went to cut with it and it dug in a little, then fell on its face. Tuned it a little richer to see if it just needed a little help, same effect. Took it back inside, pressure tested again and everything checked out fine. Took the spark plug out and found what looked like scoring. Pulled the cylinder and this is what I found.

Intake side

Exhaust Side

Take special note of the missing plating where the piston was most likely slapping

Piston - Exhaust Side

Intake Side

It appears that there is little damage to the piston really. It seems like maybe the chrome cylinder lining started to flake off and then just started sanding the chrome off the whole cylinder. There was fine metallic film all over everything in there. Did I possibly hone too much? Has anybody else experienced this? This is my first time trying to put an aftermarket piston in a stock, cleaned cylinder.

Did you hone just to remove transfer? Or did you sand the transfer out before you honed it? And how long did you hone?

I just honed to remove transfer. Probably ran it through 4 or five times at about 15-30 seconds each time if I remember right. Just did it until there wasn't any transfer left basically.

Yeap too long.transfer needs to be sanded out first.scotchbrite afterwards and skip the hone.
Not saying they cant be honed just not just to remove transfer.

Masterminds transfer removal with the Emory cloth works awesome. It's some good reading too

Proper use of a hone is fine. However, it should never be used for removal of the transfer. I guess you know that now :)

Yep. Learning experience. I'm only out a $40 piston and an otherwise burnt up jug. I have a use for it still, so it's not a total loss I guess. I have several others, so I'll just have to get another piston and try again. Just sucks when I'm trying to build this thing on a budget. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back