1557M blower ? and flue damper ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstrong625

Reaction score
I just purchased and installed a Hotblast 1557m in Sept. I have already had one blower motor burn up and it seems the other is on its last leg. Has anyone replaced the blowers with a single larger better made blower? I also installed a regular turn style damper (not sure the correct name) in the flue pipe. I have been doing some reading on this site and it seems some people are saying to not use this damper just use the damper on the ash door. Any info on this would be helpful as well. Thanks for your time, Joe

Welcome to AS

If you have the blowers wired correctly and your ducting is the proper size, It should work OK. Maybe you just got a bad set. My furnace isnt the exact same as yours but they are made by the same Chinese company. That said you get what you pay for, however you shouldn't be going through blowers like that. Im on my third year, no problems except the sheet metal screws rattle loose.

The bi-metal thermostat is junk, its very slow at responding, so dont get in a hurry. I suggest taking the cover off it so you can see it working, to get a better understanding of how it works.

I dont have a damper in the flue pipe, just the barometric damper.

I have thought of installing a bigger blower motor, but modifying a wood stove/furnace/boiler is frowned upon by insurance companies.

As stated before, Welcome to AS! Theres alot of good info here. Pictures are welcome and encouraged.

I have the same hotblast and mine is 4 years old in January! Haven't had any problems at all other than I burn't up a couple grates burning to much hedge. I would suspect a problem with airflow and or restriction pics of your setup particularly the ductwork pics would help further diagnose. Could also be wiring or bimetallic thermostat? They should still be under warranty! Also did you put a drop of oil in each oil tube?

Also I use a turn style damper in my flue and have no issues. The flue damper will have no effect on your blower motors.

Last edited:
I have a Clayton also made by USSC which is not a Chinese company. Motor may be however. I haven't had any problems with mine. USSC is very good about backing up their stoves. I have called them with questions and they have great support and won't jerk you around. Call them.

I have a 1537g hotblast I have had no problems with the blowers in 4 years. I put a manual damper in the flue pipe and it works great. Thats the only way I could get the air flow to slow down to control my temp in the box.

I have a Clayton also made by USSC which is not a Chinese company. Motor may be however. I haven't had any problems with mine. USSC is very good about backing up their stoves. I have called them with questions and they have great support and won't jerk you around. Call them.

The Clayton is a completely different furnace, And that one is most likely made in US...but the Firebox in the hotblast model it Chinese. It is exactly the same as the vogelzang (but different sheet metal). The manuals are even the same. If you dont believe me go look for your self.

This could be a ducting issue.If your static pressure is too high you maybe be putting to heavy a load on the blower/motor.
You can cure this by adding cold air returns and hot air supplies.

Latest posts

Back