2 Homelite 909G's up and running

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leeha

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have had these 2 909G's for a couple years and since
i'm a little more familar with them i decided to get them running.
The blue one "not the prettiest" had a broken case in the gear
box. There are 2 locations for the idler gear depending on which
gear ratio you have. This saw was set up with 3.5 ratio. The idler
gear shaft boss was broken so i found a set of gears out of a parts
saw and converted to 2.8 ratio. You have to swap the clutch drum
and the large drive gear.
The other saw gave me a fit with carb rebuilds, fuel lines and new
points and condenser. Now both are great runners. The blue saw has
a 36 inch bar with 1/2 inch chisel chain and the other has a 30 inch
with 9/16 inch chipper. Both chains need some help in the sharpening department. The chisel cut better.

Lee

And here is a group photo of all my 900 series geardrive drives.
9-26, 900G, 2 909G's, 990G
I just need the 995G to complete the set.

All5900seriesHomelites002.jpg

Last edited:
Whatcha got there with the red fenders in the background of the group saw photo? Looks to be in nice shape.

Red fenders are on a 2006 379 Peterbilt triaxle tracktor.
Took everthing off the frame up to the nose and had the frame painted. Now it's going back together. Belongs to
my best customers son who moves heavy equipment.
And i mean heavy. he moved a transformer up into Maine
that weighed near 200 thou gross

Lee

Red fenders are on a 2006 379 Peterbilt triaxle tracktor.
Took everthing off the frame up to the nose and had the frame painted. Now it's going back together. Belongs to
my best customers son who moves heavy equipment.
And i mean heavy. he moved a transformer up into Maine
that weighed near 200 thou gross

Lee

Pack of permits a foot thick! I'll bet he still got :censored:grief in every small town he went through.

:givebeer:

Nice saws. Nothing like the old 9-series. I sort of wished I had taken one to cut with ModifiedMark, but the 900G would probably have given everybody apoplectic fits. I'm working on a deal to acquire a 9-26, can't wait for that to pan out.

Chris B.

After a phone call this morning, the 9-26 is mine. Plus, Sugar Creek just finished the 990G decals, so I think I'm getting one of the first sets.

I have a sales brochure from July 1960 covering the entire Homelite line, starting with the 900G. Next time I'm at ModifiedMark's, I'll try to get it scanned and posted in the 900G thread. Makes for interesting reading.

Gotta love these 9 series. When you think about what other companies offered at the time, Homelite (and McCulloch) were way ahead of the curve.

Chris B.

Gotta love these 9 series. When you think about what other companies offered at the time, Homelite (and McCulloch) were way ahead of the curve.

Chris B.

I agree. Homelite and McCulloch brought "Pro" saws to a whole new level at the time. The gear-drives especially were saws that elevated logging operations around the world at that time.

Chris B.

As a noble defender of the european brands, I sure have to disagree with that statement....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Nice bunch of old goodies, Lee. I wouldn't mind having one of these in the collection myself...

Last edited:
Nice vids Lee!
Homelite sure had a good amount of the large size saw!
Cool to see a series like that all lined up!!!:clap::clap::clap:

Lee - I missed this thread whilst on holiday in Egypt. What a wonderful lineup of 900 series Homelites you have. They are all solid examples of the series - I really like the 9-26 with that unique muffler design. Really really nice!

Regards,

Chris.

Latest posts

Back