252/ Kohler 34 HP upgrade

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCgrinder

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
After 14 years ,my Kohler 25 HP engine wore out..Along with completely rebuilding the frame, I installed a Kohler 34 HP ( CH940)... Had to do a little alteration, but it was really worth the effort... Now I have reserve power and the wheel does not bog down.. I used the original Vermeer(Ogura) 25 HP clutch and it seems to be holding the additional torque.. I'm very careful not to overload the cut,though.. 20141204_141046.jpg 20141204_141101.jpg 20141204_141336.jpg 20141204_141351.jpg

Finally someone posting pics of the conversion.

Great!

I consider to try one of the 64ft/lb subaru engines on eBay next year.

Was there a certain reason you picked the 34hp Kohler over the 990 40hp?

Can you comment the fuel usage yet? (here, gas is exactly twice as expensive as in the US)

Regards
Marne

Wow you got 14 years out of the 25hp? I have a 25 on my 1625 right now with a new shortblock. I have around 325 hours on it now, but only 100 on the shortblock. How many hours did your older motor have? I am curious because I figured with the nature of stump grinding, I would be replacing the motor every 3-7 years.

I did get 14 yrs(2120 hrs) out of the 25 hp but, I had replaced burnt valves once , replaced ignition coils,suffered compression loss, general loss of power, overall a very tired engine...Chose the 34 hp so that I could use the 25HP clutch without totally overpowering it..25hp clutches cost me around $350 and the 40Hp clutch was going to be $700 +... I just wanted a bit more horsepower
GreenTeeth, I'm trying my best to see where the initial costs and replacement costs make it worthwhile for my particular case.. I get regular teeth shipped to me for $3.16 each.. They cut and last very well.. and with the new engine setup ,they seem to cut longer...I'm very careful to figure in tooth costs in my rates/estimates....
My theory is.."if it ain't broke don't fix it.."
BTW : CalTree... I'm not exactly a "dude" ... Just turned 73 and still kickin'it...

Dear Mr NCgrinder;

The tooth system you are currently using is antiquate by 20 years at least. I can assure you that by replacing the old finger teeth with a new set of 700 series Green Teeth you will increase you productivity by 50% at least. If you take into account the amount of time it takes to change dull and broken teeth, as well as cost and lost productivity do to running dull teeth your savings will be even more impressive. Green Teeth are real time and labor saver. Yes they cost more then the cheapest system on the market but they are well worth it.

Sincerely, Matthew Thomas Bauer, sole owner and operator of California Tree Equipment, Inc.

CalTree : Antique owner using antique cutter teeth...Sounds like a match..!!!
Actually, I have checked recently on G/Teeth prices ,etc... So, here's my plan...Around spring '15 ,I should be needing to resupply my cutterteeth supply. Based on yours and others high praise , I'll make the plunge and order an LP700 setup...If they work as good as you say , I'll let you know..... something about Old Dog,New Tricks,etc,etc.!!!
Thanks ,
NCG

CalTree : Antique owner using antique cutter teeth...Sounds like a match..!!!
Actually, I have checked recently on G/Teeth prices ,etc... So, here's my plan...Around spring '15 ,I should be needing to resupply my cutterteeth supply. Based on yours and others high praise , I'll make the plunge and order an LP700 setup...If they work as good as you say , I'll let you know..... something about Old Dog,New Tricks,etc,etc.!!!
Thanks ,
NCG
You won't regret it.

Stan, a few months have past now since your upgrade.
What are your observations on the big block kohler so far?
Was it worth it?
How is it on fuel?

Many thanks

Marne: Absolutely !!! It was the best thing that I could have done Got a lot more power, lots of reserve power ,less bog, teeth will go longer, production up , time on stump down...Stumps that I used to dread are done much quicker.. ( I get bored easily !!! )
So far, The original clutch ( 25hp Ogura/Vermeer ) has lasted 150 hrs with no slippage..I am very careful to cut throttle to idle before engaging tho...
Fuel usage is not that big of a problem and its about a wash...with the 25 ,I had to grind longer ...with the 34 I finish quicker , so total fuel usage is about the same
The only down side is that with the additional weight that high up , you have to be a bit more cautious about grinding on a slant...

But, so far , I'm very pleased with the changeover..
Thanks , Stan
NCGrinder

Many thanks Stan!!

So it's gonna be the 34 Kohler.
As mentioned I wanted those subarus but after some thoughts and calcultaions, the torque will be overkill without more mods to the drive train.

I guess the clutch will hold up a long time, as I contacted ogura and they stated these clutches with 250ft/lb static torque. So when the engine is idled before (dis)engaging one should be fine.

When the engine is on, I gonna let foam fill the duals, which adds 35lbs to each wheel, should be plenty of counterweigt.

Many thanks again for taking the time, Stan.

Latest posts

Back