3/8" low profile and 3/8" regular chain interchange?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, do they?

Just swap loops or is there any real difference in the drive sprocket and bar nose sprocket?

Reason I ask, I just acquired a Rem. SL-4A that has a loop of Stihl LP chain on it. I was quite suprised a 60cc saw would have small chain. Seems to cut just fine.

3/8" LP chain can cut right well if sharpened correctly

Well, do they?

Just swap loops or is there any real difference in the drive sprocket and bar nose sprocket?

Reason I ask, I just acquired a Rem. SL-4A that has a loop of Stihl LP chain on it. I was quite suprised a 60cc saw would have small chain. Seems to cut just fine.
Does the bar seem right or is it marked which it is? I have been running a regular 3/8ths rim on a low pro bar/chain for over a year with no problems but it wont work on the nose sprocket of a reg 3/8ths bar. Also you can't get away with running a reg 3/8ths chain on a low profile drive spur even if you put a reg 3/8ths bar on it.

J.W.:

Yup, the bar seems OK with the chain. Looks like 'Joe Woodcutter' bought a blister pack at the hardware store and threw him on there. Bar is a Total laminate T6103H.

The sprocket/drum is a Remington A23-387, original to a SL-4. (Close to 'done for')

I have a rim drive/drum off a PL-4 that I will put back on.

The 3/8 x 7 rim sprockets I have on hand (new and used) seem to fit the chain just fine. So we'll just go with that.

Thanks fellas!

Last edited:
OK, spit it out. You don't approve? :msp_rolleyes:

Just abide by the 'Thumper Principle'

That's what Thumper's momma told him.:msp_tongue:

It is just that this is an issue that have been discussed to death so many times on here, but the facts still are the same! :smile2:

It is just that this is an issue that have been discussed to death so many times on here, but the facts still are the same! :smile2:

Well, I've been hanging around here for a while and while reading this thread was thinking, "hmmm, I didn't know that." So at least one person benefited.

What oil fuel mix should I use? I haven't seen THAT discussed in this forum.

Well, I've been hanging around here for a while and while reading this thread was thinking, "hmmm, I didn't know that." So at least one person benefited.

What oil fuel mix should I use? I haven't seen THAT discussed in this forum.

Not that often, maybe not as many times as 1000 total! :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Btw, 50:1 usually is the answer (with high quality synth oil), regardless what the saw manuals state!

I just looked at Baileys and wonder how you can pick out the 3/8" low profile rim sprockets from the standard? Or, do they even make them?

Since this powerhead is 59cc and we already have a correct bar for the L.P. chain, why not go to an eight tooth sprocket like this. Bailey's - Oregon Power Mate Rim Sprocket .375" x 8 Tooth

Seeing as how we are removing less wood why not do it at a higher rate?

Troll: 32:1 suits me. The saws have to share with the Lawnboy. R.O.F.L.

Last edited:
8 tooth huh? well that outta give you some chain speed and use the power 60cc can deliver but i ani't ever seen an 8 pin rim in a small spline drive, if its regular spline why not go for it.It stands to reason if low profile don't fit the nose sprocket it ani't right for the drive either but since theres fewer teeth engaged at any one time i seem to be getting away with it.

8 tooth huh? well that outta give you some chain speed and use the power 60cc can deliver but i ani't ever seen an 8 pin rim in a small spline drive, if its regular spline why not go for it.It stands to reason if low profile don't fit the nose sprocket it ani't right for the drive either but since theres fewer teeth engaged at any one time i seem to be getting away with it.

The chain fits the sprocket nose just fine. I'll take the rim drive/drum with me to match an 8 tooth rim sprocket.

The chain fits the sprocket nose just fine. I'll take the rim drive/drum with me to match an 8 tooth rim sprocket.
Yeah, I understand your bar and chain are matched, just pointing out that the drive sprockets are different too. I think a low profile rim would be a little larger given the same tooth count, the problem is availabity. I think there is (are was) a 7 pin rim from stihl compatable with low profile but it was in the mini size spline only used by stihl. The 7 pin reg 3/8ths powermate seems to be working well for me tho and if I deside to try a L/pro set-up on one of my larger saws i won't worry about using one

Well it works OK.

Picked up a 3/8 x 8 std. spline rim sprocket and put him on there. With the larger rim, it was imposible to get chain onto the bar with it mounted on the saw. So, I assembled sprocket, bar and chain and just managed to slide it on the rim drive and studs. Ended up with barely 1/16" clearence between the bar tail and the sprocket. I didn't want to make yet another trip down to Halls (local OPE repair) to add drivers.

The low pro is not happy about the standard rim but you gotta do what you gotta do. Finally got to 'test drive' my SL-4.:clap:

attachment.php

Forester sells several rim/drum systems with 7-pin lo-pro rims with small spline. Mis-matching 3/8 and 3/8 lo-pro will result in excessive wear in sprockets, drive links, and nose sprockets since size and shape of chassis and drive links is different, even if the pitch is the same.

Back