455 rancher

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bartman23

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all im going into my second season of cutting all my own wood and the stihl ms 180c isn't keeping up to my needs so it's time for a new saw. I burn in the ballpark of 4-5 cords per winter and the majority of the trees i am cutting are 15" dbh or smaller. Would the rancher with an 18" bar be a good saw for my needs? Pros/cons anybody that owns one.

Yes it will work fine and handle it. I have got several hundred cords out of ranchers running 20 inch bars. The rancher is kind of heavy for the power. The xp saws are a pro saw but cost more. For what you are doing a rancher will last you quite awhile if you take care of it.

I have 2 Ranchers which have served me well. Know what their limitations are as stated above and take care of them, they will provide you years of service. Go out and sink a 20" bar in to an Oak log all day and you may not be as happy with the results.

I've been running my rancher 455 for a couple years. It is my only saw, outside of two older ones that I got from my dad. The rancher can handle a lot of work. Only time mine seems to get a little angry is when the bar is buried. Even so, just re-adjust so its not trying to eat the whole bar and away you go. Good saw, quite solid on power. Every stick of firewood in my thread was cut with a rancher.

I may have to buy a new 18" bar and a couple of good chains. I've had nothing but problems with mine from day one. It's 3 or 4 years old and I've cut probably 3 cord with it. The chain jumps like crazy no matter what I do. I've also had it apart once to repair the rings where they stuck. I cut one day, put the saw up and the next time I used it, the rings were stuck and no compression. I have an 025 and an 041 that I've never had an issue with. The 455 had me riddled with problems. I bought the saw new too.

i would get a echo timberwolf cs-590 instead-- it is a de-tuned pro saw where is the rancher is a box-store special--

i would not buy a rancher less i got a super good deal on one-- the rancher will however do the job you require provided it ain't broke in some way.

sometimes you can find a nearly new or open box rancher for peanuts-- in that regard their worth the $

Got my rancher off of craigslist, 125 bucks and it had a couple of tanks through it. Too good to pass up and it was an upgrade from the poulan POS I had before (I didn't get into cutting firewood until after I bought the husky)
3 years later I'm on the hunt for a bigger saw to mill with and cut some big stuff my buddy gave me. 28" oak is pushing the limit on the old rancher.

I never owned one, but have heard good & bad. Check out the Echo 590 as others have said. I have 2 Echo CS and a trimmer that have many years on them, still going strong.

i have a 455 and have cut many cords with it (hickory oaks beech locust etc). from 12"-24" dbh. ive run from 18-24" bars on it and i agree run the smaller bars and upgrade the chain. never had any mechanical problems since day 1, but as was said already know its limitations and use a more powerful saw when needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 455 rancher I bought about 2010, I cut Ash, Maple, Hickory and Oak. I do not cut near the amount of wood per year some lead you to believe they do. I only cut 12 to 14 face cord 4'x8'x18" for my winter heating and a small amount to clear trails and such around my place and do some clean up for others. It has been a good saw but you really need to be careful when hauling it to and from the woods. I always stuck it in a stack of wood standing and about 2 years ago it developed a fuel leak when the plastic tank cracked. Dealer wanted over 200.00 to fix it. A friend and I fixed it with some marine epoxy for about $5.00.
\
My friend bought a Echo 590 timber wolf, very impressed with that saws power. Since I had bought a Echo CS 400 from the same dealer Very impressed there also.
The 590 timber wolf has a $400.00 MSRP but a good dealer will work with you and set the saw up right, so you should have no worry's when you get home and sink it into so wood. It also has a 4.8 star for reviews.

I also own a Husky 162SE, a 55 EPA bought when the local dealer was still in good hands. Switched to a Jred 2159 but that dealer was terrible, worse than the Husky dealer.

:D Al

I have a Husky 353 and a Husky 350, both about the same size as a 455 Rancher and they carry an 18" bar. Fabulous saws in my book, and I bought them used from e-bay. The total cost, both added together and shipped to my doorstep, was $420.

Yes, both were two really good buys, and occasionally it does happen. You generally pay lots of dough for a new saw. Like you, I have done this already and usually I have not regretted it.

If your area is anything like mine, Ranchers are widely available on Craigslist. I paid 300 for mine. It was brand new, only started once, never cut with. Came with a full tank of fuel and bar oil, bar and chain, and scrench. I would look there first to save some money.

I may have to buy a new 18" bar and a couple of good chains. I've had nothing but problems with mine from day one. It's 3 or 4 years old and I've cut probably 3 cord with it. The chain jumps like crazy no matter what I do. I've also had it apart once to repair the rings where they stuck. I cut one day, put the saw up and the next time I used it, the rings were stuck and no compression. I have an 025 and an 041 that I've never had an issue with. The 455 had me riddled with problems. I bought the saw new too.
My 455 jumped chains too...Husq put on a different sprocket......there was a recall I believe......been two years now, chain stays on.

My 455 jumped chains too...Husq put on a different sprocket......there was a recall I believe......been two years now, chain stays on.
Hmmmm......I may have to check into it! It has a 20" bar, but I think I'm going to look into an aftermarket 18" bar and a more agressive chain.

Back