• Please be aware that we have recently gotten a wave of users that, when researched, are found to be from Nigeria. They are trying to sell products and asking to be paid through Zelle or Venmo leaving users with no recourse if they don't ship the product. If you suspect this activity please contact admin and we will research their information to verify their location.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors
Peak Industries

50 special vacuum pressure test

chuck shelly

chuck shelly

ArboristSite Lurker
hi guys, I am rebuilding a 50s and I just tested it for press and vacuum. it held press great but vacuum I went to 10 inches and it slowly came down to 6 and held for 30 sec and dropped to 5 for another 30 sec. what do you guys think? thanks chuck

Ozhoo

Ozhoo

Addicted to ArboristSite
Assuming that it passed pressure, your vacuum drop would be aging crank seals. It'll run just fine for a good bit yet before they'll need to be replaced.

Spoon Carving With Tom

Spoon Carving With Tom

Addicted to ArboristSite
Doesn’t hurt to find the location of the leak while you’re there. If it is the seals I’d just replace them, then you can relax and forget about it :)

It’s tempting to just call it fine with a leak, but in reality you are just setting yourself up for problems. If you don’t want to do the seals now - not in the mood or you’re frustrated etc have a rest, put the saw to one side until you are ready, nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn’t use it or you’ll end up destroying the engine. I’m learning to slow down and not rush the process and i feel much better for it