A Sandy gift, and a small problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikey517

Living the Medicare dream
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Came upon this downed ash a short distance off the roadway near my house. Started bucking it up - made 2 cuts and turned the log. When I went to finish, the chain wouldn't turn. Had to take bar off and found the sprocket was frozen. Never had that happen. Plenty of oil on the bar so I'm at a loss. The wife brought me another bar and chain and I finished, but can't figure out what I did wrong to freeze the sprocket.
263064d1353356747-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353356741-473814-jpg

263065d1353356772-imageuploadedbytapatalk1353356766-578957-jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Crap (thin wood splinters and oily dirt, whatever) wedged into the sprocket bearing. Happened to me a few times. Managed to clean it out. Could be you accidently tightened it too much when the saw had been running before and was hot, it cools down and shrinks a little, puts too much pressure on the sprocket bearing and they fail. I had one bar go when I hit hidden metal in a tree before, it just grabbed real hard and yanked the chain off and bent the nose tip and goobered the sprocket in there, non replaceable sprocket tip. Added bonus, some nice exciting sparks as well!

Sometimes, just wear out, those teeny bearings are small. Stuff happens.

Almost in your backyard!! I was surprised it was still there actually.

I was told by a neighbor that somebody took the best parts - the nice middle sections. But I still got some nice free ash, and that's always a good thing!

Haha, i was tempted but i have no room for wood, need to get to splitting all i have. :bang:

Not to be a wise ass, but did you check your brake to make sure it didn't get bounced on? Some of those are very stiff to reset to off. Just a thought ( kiss principal).

Not to be a wise ass, but did you check your brake to make sure it didn't get bounced on? Some of those are very stiff to reset to off. Just a thought ( kiss principal).

yeah check this,,, ask me how I know!! :bang:

Been there myself. Did't realize it until I couldn't get the clutch cover off.

That was the first thing I did. Took off the bar & chain - powerhead ran as normal. That's when I noticed the sprocket tip was frozen. Cleaned out groove and all the crap I could see, but still NG.

Finished cutting with an 18" Carlton Timber Champ from Baileys (plug)- saw ran fine.

Take your bar, and at a 45 deg. angle, hit a stump with the sprocket tip. You will have to do it hard and several times, but it should free it up.

Put the bar and chain back on lay the bottom of the bar on a log and push. The chain should stay put and the bar will move forward it will clean the debris out of the tip. A chain that is a little loose is more prone to this happening.

Put the bar and chain back on lay the bottom of the bar on a log and push. The chain should stay put and the bar will move forward it will clean the debris out of the tip. A chain that is a little loose is more prone to this happening.

I agree, it has happened to me several times. Put the chain on, lube the sprocket tip, and work the chain back and forth till it loosens up. Put on some heavy leather gloves so you don't cut your hands if you need to. I'm sure that if you can work the chips loose that have lodged in the tip the bar will be fine. .

Hmm...I have never ran into this problem or even heard of it before now. I grease my tip regularly, and also file the bar smooth. I use baileys woodland pro bar tool to close up the gap in the bar as well. How many of you "tighten" the bar this way? Perhaps that could be where the material is getting in at?

Back