A Walnut Stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawyer Rob

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Quite some time ago, I got a freshly dug out walnut stump, with the intensions to clean it up and put it on the mill,

standard.jpg

Anyway, I have no problem leaving walnut sit around, even for an extended length of time, as long as it's up off the ground. The heart wood rarely degrades, but you will loose the sap wood.

My buddy has been bugging me for some time to get it cleaned up, as he's dying to see what's "inside"... lol SO, today was the day and my friend came over to help out "high volume" power washing the stump, here's my setup,

standard.jpg

He wanted to do the honors and who am I, to turn down help?? lol

standard.jpg

This set up, really puts the water out, and there was a LOT of dirt/rocks and everything else to wash out, some of the rocks are quite big and grown right into the roots, i'll chainsaw the roots off later to get rid of them...

standard.jpg

But we kept after it, until we got everything "high volume" would get, next I'm going to finish it off with a high pressure power washer, but that's a job for another day!

SR

Quite some time ago, I got a freshly dug out walnut stump, with the intensions to clean it up and put it on the mill,

standard.jpg

Anyway, I have no problem leaving walnut sit around, even for an extended length of time, as long as it's up off the ground. The heart wood rarely degrades, but you will loose the sap wood.

My buddy has been bugging me for some time to get it cleaned up, as he's dying to see what's "inside"... lol SO, today was the day and my friend came over to help out "high volume" power washing the stump, here's my setup,

standard.jpg

He wanted to do the honors and who am I, to turn down help?? lol

standard.jpg

This set up, really puts the water out, and there was a LOT of dirt/rocks and everything else to wash out, some of the rocks are quite big and grown right into the roots, i'll chainsaw the roots off later to get rid of them...

standard.jpg

But we kept after it, until we got everything "high volume" would get, next I'm going to finish it off with a high pressure power washer, but that's a job for another day!

SR
Great cant wait to see the burl. Let us know how many chains get rocked. It should produce some really cool looking stuff. You will be milling with the grain right?

Stumps are fun and a work of love. I don't think I've ever gotten every last rock or dirt inclusion out of them, but every one I've cut open was worth the trouble as far as beauty of what's inside.

Looking forward to more updates.

Mr. HE:cool:

Thanks guys,

Yes I'm going to saw with the grain, I'm going to try for a decent gun stock blank or two......but I have some pressure washing and chain sawing to do first... :)

SR

When you see what's inside, you'll forget about all the trouble and aggravation of washing it down and still hitting rocks. Save some for turning blanks, too!

Good to see you, too. Great show. Lots of equipment...I've gotta get myself one of those processors. A few complaints about the weather, but most of us have worked in much worse. Now back to the grind!

Okay.....waiting on updates!

Bet a nice cut to flatten the root section and then a few table top slabs from the roots would be fun to look at!

Scott (tables rock...get it? ROCK) B

Book matched pair splayed out end to end with roots at each end of the table. Like a vertical book match or something like that? Would be beautiful to see something like that.

Back