asplundh chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I couldn't wait till next weekend to work on the chipper. All the bolts for the knifes came out! The knifes are Asplundh pn 012-0014-22 and they measure 11 & 15/16 x 2.5x 3/8. Every knife I find with that part number is 3" tall not 2.5". Do you think they are worn 1/2 inch? Seems like a lot.

Probably sharpened too many times,
Flip the anvil and set the knives gap with a few dimes along the anvil for you gap,
the gap should be about the width of a dime, maybe a quarter,
turn the drum by hand and see if the drum turns,,
Jeff

Is there a minimum height for the blades. If new is 3" is 2.5 to short for the wedge bolt to hold it secure. Also kind of strange that there are no adjustment studs for knife height? Anyone see one like this?

I just got off the phone with altec and they are telling me that the chipper I have is a C series from around 1960. Does anyone have a manual for this model that you can email me.

Ok I finally got a set-up manual for all the old Asplundh chippers that Altec put together. Looking at the manual it appears the chipper I bought is a D series. I plan to install the new knives and anvil this weekend. Hopefully that will get this old beast chipping again.

It might suck (chip) but it won't blow without a hose hooked up connecting the drum housing to the chute, as Caltree mentioned. A piece of Big O non perforated drain pipe would likely work in a pinch.

It might suck (chip) but it won't blow without a hose hooked up connecting the drum housing to the chute, as Caltree mentioned. A piece of Big O non perforated drain pipe would likely work in a pinch.
I have drain pipe on mine lol works fine btw it will blow without the hose but eventually in wet brush it will stop up chute! Gratz on your chipper op I adjust my knives to the raised edge marking the bore then adjust the cutter bar to it. Some fart with a gauge dime etc, I set it as close to knives as i can get it without touching. When its set optimum it will pop air like a rotor on a helo. The chips will be fine as well. Always after tightening it all down roll the rotor back wards by hand to make sure blades do not touch cutter not sure the manual says it but when I was foreman at the big o in the 80s this was standard procedure.

These beasts got a bad name mainly because they will sting your hands, ear lobes etc but they are truely the more durable chippers ever made. They are somewhat bullet proof with limited moving parts to wear out. I like whoopass chippers for brush. Btw yes a blade can only be sharpened so far down before buying new my memory says 2 inch but its been a while so i would double check this info. Have the blades sharpened professionally they have certain degree I knew a guy that did his with a grinder lol I would never do that!!

I have the hose for the hookup to the blower. I think I will be good once I get the new blades installed.

Just remember: First you chuck, then you duck. Got it? Say it with me now: First I chuck, then I duck.

No loose clothes or gloves. Helmet with full face shield. And may god have mercy on yer soul.

Just remember: First you chuck, then you duck. Got it? Say it with me now: First I chuck, then I duck.

No loose clothes or gloves. Helmet with full face shield. And may god have mercy on yer soul.
See this is sorta right, sorta wrong, the only fatalities are from self feeds last i heard but everyone considers these more dangerous. I know your being funny somewhat so not really aimed your way just saying, I have thrown miles of brush, made enough chips to fill two sky scrapers with no injury other than occasional scratch in a whisper! Expect a stung hand or earlobe especially on blackjack and hickory or be wise and make you a shove stick lay knarly on feed table and use the long stick made from a limb with a v left at the business end and shove it through with it :p

Is there a minimum height for the blades. If new is 3" is 2.5 to short for the wedge bolt to hold it secure. Also kind of strange that there are no adjustment studs for knife height? Anyone see one like this?

New knives my friend,,
Some of the 'whispers' had studs in the drum to adjust the knives, time consuming, plus, there is a minimum height on the knives,,Some don't,,
Maybe some guys kept using the studs to adjust the knive height to the point that they failed.
Call Vermeer and find out what width size requires replacement.
Jeff

Ok I got the chipper all back together and chipping with new knifes. It now pulls the branches thru and chips great. Now I need to get started cleaning up around the house from the logging that was done. That is what I purchased the chipper for.

If there are grease fittings on the drum bearings I would be sure to pump a good amount in there.

Good job on that chipper. Tell me though, what did you do about the blade adjuster bolts or studs. The older ones had these studs that seemed to just sit there, but I have never worked on one of those and have always wondered how they worked. What's the deal with the extra block bolts? These usually have 3 bolts, yours has 5.

Good job on that chipper. Tell me though, what did you do about the blade adjuster bolts or studs. The older ones had these studs that seemed to just sit there, but I have never worked on one of those and have always wondered how they worked. What's the deal with the extra block bolts? These usually have 3 bolts, yours has 5.
Most of the blade adjusters have allen head in bottom to adjust height the extra bolt is a cap to use to remove the wedge on knife change! Its a short bolt to cap the gum n goo from clogging threads. Then after removing bolts a long bolt is put in there and impacted down to break wedge free !

Back