Axmen starts with Hendrix playing a Dylan song, and it seems to fit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just wish I had cable,:cry: but I guess I'm not willing to spend saw money on TV. I hope it comes out on video. I bet I would learn a lot. An occasional dangerous scene is OK for educational purposes, in hopes of preventing a few deaths and injuries, but if I want a big dose of near-fatal action, I have a bunch of action movies on DVD. (It's alot better to watch if they don't actually have to become broken or dead in the process) Stihl looking forward to hearing more about it the series.............:greenchainsaw:

I think there should be one *** OFFICIAL The History Channel: AxMen THREAD *** stickied somewhere.

All other new AxMen threads that are created will be met with everyone else typing the following:

UTFSE
I agree there should be one thread to discuss the show, but which thread?
I watched it & recorded it, and plan on watching the whole series. I also hope they'll do more with saws, I'm surprised the show started out like it did.

I find the show to be interesting, and logging as a business is much more dangerous in that terrain, and is harder than I expected. Here in Iowa most of the cutting I do is on relatively flat ground, with the occasional wicked steep hill or ravine, but nothing as long as some of the mountains they are working on. Sure would be nice to see more actual cutting as some have already stated. Also would be nice to see some of the cutters talk about which saw they use and why. As a firewood cutter my hat (helmet) is off to you guys who do this for a living. JR

Yeah, interesting when the tree is taller in the MW than most of the hills you are talking about in the PNW. Full wrap, long bar, skip chain posers....:spam: :givebeer: :cheers: :cheers: .....I had to do that.

Mark

Hey Mark

Yeah, interesting when the tree is taller in the MW than most of the hills you are talking about in the PNW. Full wrap, long bar, skip chain posers....:spam: :givebeer: :cheers: :cheers: .....I had to do that.

Mark

LOL...C'mon out. We'll let you run up and down a few hills, carrying your saw of choice...but nothing smaller than an 460 with a 32 inch bar. We're going after a couple of helicopter sales this year and the ground is just a bit steep.
And you can carry your lunch, and your gas and oil, and your wedges and a couple of tools,and an axe. And a first aid kit. And some water...lots of water.
And we'll take pictures of you before and after. Should be an interesting weight loss program...if you're so inclined. :cheers: Bob

Last edited:
LOL...C'mon out. We'll let you run up and down a few hills, carrying your saw of choice...but nothing smaller than an 040 with a 32 inch bar. We're going after a couple of helicopter sales this year and the ground is just a bit steep.
And you can carry your lunch, and your gas and oil, and your wedges and a couple of tools,and an axe. And a first aid kit. And some water...lots of water.
And we'll take pictures of you before and after. Should be an interesting weight loss program...if you're so inclined. :cheers: Bob

PICK ME!! PICK ME!!!:clap:

Its nice to see how they log in the mountain tops in Oregon, I wonder if they are gonna move around the country and show some hardwood logging or other places. Watched a whole hour and never saw a single skidder or even a buncher. Just a lot of cable setting. Interesting though.

Chances are, if this is a Hollywood production company, they don't even know we got trees back east. Probably think NY is a city and the only logging is done in Central Park. One young guy says "lumberjack is a term used by people on the east coast" like he thought we were all city boys our here. I got news for you youngun, I been logging in NY since 20 years before you wore your first diaper.

Gotta say though, with those ponderosa pines they got out west, I can only wonder how long the bars are they need for redwoods. Biggest bar you see around here is 36 inch and that's hanging on the wall in the shed most of the time.

Loggerjack

Yep

I agree there should be one thread to discuss the show, but which thread?
I watched it & recorded it, and plan on watching the whole series. I also hope they'll do more with saws, I'm surprised the show started out like it did.

Seemed more like a reality series. I wanna see some dude's using saws. See how they measure and figure out exactly where to drop the trees with super precision. Even see them jacking them and moving them where they aren't supposed to go. Like I care about some dude being pi55ed off at his boss... What is that crap? I wanna see what saws they are using. How they decide what to cut, where to cut, and what they do to prepare for everything. Even what they were cutting last night was little in comparison to what I'd expect from the PNW that I've heard of. I'm real happy about the series though. I will say this. Most people don't realize that the Adirondacks are what was used to build NYC. It was nearly clear cut 100+ yrs ago. That's why there are so few big trees here in comparison. The weather also has a large factor in the size of trees. I'd like to see one of those big trees survive an ice storm here. Back in '97 my cousin' lost $1/2million worth of lumber from ice on a few hundred acres of land. From this sat. to sunday, yes like this weekend, there's trees down everywhere. Ice and weather play a huge roll in how large trees get and how they survive. The adirondaks is the largest park in the lower 48. We've got more woods here than ANYWHERE in the PNW. You need to go to Alaska for more actual woods. And still, there's nothing I'd like more than to go out west and work with those guys on that huge stuff. Mainly because it's something different, something that would be a memorable experience that many would never get to see. For 100 yrs my family has been loggers, and not 1 of them has ever been out west to see things like that. It's always something different, and always something can be learned from place to place. Only ignorant people would proclaim they know everything there is to know about LOGGING. From the east to the west, we all work hard to do a job and I'm glad we can see some of what they do out there. I just hope we get to see more of what the actual LOGGERS do. Not equipment operators....

:cheers: eh? :givebeer:

I think they will destroy the show with useless promted drama. Show some real logging, and leave out all the crap. Just like pinks using fake car sounds. These guys producing these show must be IDIOTS.

I don't think they are going to talk about saws because if they talk brand names it would be seen as advertising and if somebody comes on and says their favorite chain saw is their father's old Jonsared or Gaz maybe an imported Belarus, and hate Stihl they will get sued by Stihl for defamation. This show was made for home viewers and most people think Husqvarna is a country in eastern europe, the producer is a Los Angeles UCLA film school graduate, who thinks people want to see drama, irony, hero worship, sex, and violence. That's what you will get until a logger graduates from film school.

Adirondaks my azz! Better study the maps some more! With all the posts u make i think the only thing u do is sit in front of the 'puter! Keep complaining about your 3ft. of snow on you skidder ground! WHA!

The adirondaks is the largest park in the lower 48. We've got more woods here than ANYWHERE in the PNW. You need to go to Alaska for more actual woods.

You're kidding, right?

The Adirondacks is a large park, but it's only 6 million acres - and according to the Adirondack Council, roughly 40 percent of that is open land (farms, hamlets, etc.)

Here in Oregon, the US Forest Service alone owns over 15 million acres; the BLM owns roughly the same amount. That doesn't count state forest lands (close to a million acres) or county forests - let alone the millions of acres owned by timber companies. (Weyerhauser owns well over a million acres just themselves.)

You see, I've been to the Adirondacks and traveled extensively in upstate NY; have you ever been to Oregon?

-=[ Grant ]=-

There is some really rugged land in the Adirondacks and some of the high peaks are virgin old-growth forest. The park was started in the 1890's because loggers had clear cut all the woods in the east for firewood, fuel for railroads, lumber, logging was really HUGE until somebody decided to protect the last bit of old growth still left. So the old railroads in the 1800's used wood to power their steam engines and around 1895 they stopped using wood for everything because all the wood was gone so they started using coal. Maybe even some petroleum. That's when Rockefeller got rich. Since then all the forests in NY grew back. NY is covered with woods contrary to the idiots out west who think it's all city. So now the woods are 110 year old forests, trees get big in 110 years. In the Adirondacks where many remote places were never logged and are still old growth and you find 400 year old oaks. So you people out west can kiss my axe.

Ummmmm

You're kidding, right?

The Adirondacks is a large park, but it's only 6 million acres - and according to the Adirondack Council, roughly 40 percent of that is open land (farms, hamlets, etc.)

Here in Oregon, the US Forest Service alone owns over 15 million acres; the BLM owns roughly the same amount. That doesn't count state forest lands (close to a million acres) or county forests - let alone the millions of acres owned by timber companies. (Weyerhauser owns well over a million acres just themselves.)

You see, I've been to the Adirondacks and traveled extensively in upstate NY; have you ever been to Oregon?

-=[ Grant ]=-

I think you took that the wrong way, and maybe some others also. My point was that there is ALOT of trees elsewhere also. The ADK is larger than Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Great Smoky, and Everglades National Parks combined. I actually have 2 guys working for me from oregon, they like it here. They do laugh about the mountains though, hehehehehehe. However, they are climbing the 46 here, and they say this is about 1000 times more miserable than climbing out there. I was only saying things are different here, not better, not worse. I also said I'd like to go out west to see it all. I know you've travelled in northern, NY. So what your saying is you spent YEARS here to see it all. There's no way you travelled through 6 million acres of area in a couple weeks or even a couple months. I go all over the daks all the time and I still go to new places several times a year. My buddie's are from somewhere about 40 miles from Portland, can't remember, but they're favorite climb out there is Thielson. It's around 10,000'. Look all over the net at the ascent. Whiteface SKI mountain, here in the daks, has an ascent of 3550'. 3550' of vert is ALOT. There's maybe 10 ski slopes out west that have more ascent than Whiteface here. So where's all that steepness??? It's really all relevant dude. To climb the 14,000' peaks you start at 10 or 11,000'. My buddy from Alaska laughs at what you guys call peaks out west, the same as you laughing at ours here in the east... We all love where we're from. It's got good and bad in all places. I haven't locked my house or taken my keys out of the ignition in 6 yrs. How many people on here live in a place like that???? Can't be all that bad eh?

:cheers: :clap:

Back