Barber Chair

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not burned, black stained from the bar and chain locked for most of the winter.:msp_wink:
attachment.php

:msp_ohmy:

the really spooky part of this pic is the way the slab is still on the stump and where the stem ended up. would not have wanted to be the one cuttin from that side. also noticed the stump was burned by the bar binding.

i see it looks like the bar pinched ,the wind must have finished this tree off over the winter ,but what is the tiger doing with the nail on a string ?

would i or wouldn't i...

I look @ trees & women a lot and ask myself... the answer to myself comes very quickly... I do have limited falling exp, late 70's westcoast pretty much straight up softwood, & drop the occaisional one here & there now. have seen some ugly ones that are best left to more experienced than myself... my $.02...

i see it looks like the bar pinched ,the wind must have finished this tree off over the winter ,but what is the tiger doing with the nail on a string ?

See Pac's "some people" thread for many theories followed by a proper explanation of this event :laugh:

I DO like big fast saws, just consider any technique that requires one to be a poor

way to get the job done, and NOT the way to advise a non expert.

A couple weeks ago our Pastor had a lesson and he mentioned a mans' thought process of "If you want it done right, do it yourself". As we left church I said "Steve, if you want it done right, call a professional." After 40 plus years in the tree business I've seen too many things go wrong by people thinking it was easy. I don't like bore cuts, don't use them, unless I'm carving an arm chair in a stump. I put a tag line on almost every thing, even leaners, and I do like big sharp saws that cut fast. I'd rather use my 100 cc 1050 with a 24" bar to drop an 18" Oak than my MS 290 with an 18" bar. People that cut an inch, walk around and look, cut another inch walk around and look, scare me. Safe is one thing, tentative is another. Once the cut is started it's pretty much too late to walk around and start thinking. I do it my way, others do it their way, both might work. I've still have all of my parts and no big scars, Joe.

If someone is watching, I explain why things are done plus the dangers involved plus

how things can go wrong. If I am showing them with the expectation that they may be using them I have them doing it with me standing there to make sure they understand.

I had a friend come out falling with me one day and I could tell he thought what I was doing was easy.
He tells me a fortnight later that he went home, whipped out his Poulan, and dropped a tree straight on the neighbour's fence. I just shook my head and after that I'm very wary about who comes out with me because sometimes what looks easy actually isn't. It only looks easy because I've done it 1000's of times.
The classic is reading all the falling manuals and having great theoretical knowledge yet still having no idea how to line cuts up or where your bar tip is pointing and cutting straight through the hinge. Or cutting under the lean, getting your saw pinched as the tree comes towards you, and worrying more about your saw etc etc etc. The list goes on and on.

I did have a nasty barberchair once though :)

what is the proper term for this "TECHNIQUE" of sawing the stem off the stump and using the face side bark for a hinge?
:confused:

this is a quick simple cut for a leaner like the one above to help "prevent" chair cutting the side triangle cuts relieve's some of the pressure before you make a back cut , not 100% fool proof ,but a lot safer than a reg back cut ,may have prevented what happened to the tree above ,this alder was leaning almost 40 degrees and didn't pop ,see how the holding wood pulled the fiber without splitting the tree,if you look close you can see splits where it wanted to chair but it didn't

View attachment 300111 View attachment 300112

Last edited:
how things can go wrong. If I am showing them with the expectation that they may be using them I have them doing it with me standing there to make sure they understand.

The ones that are keen to learn are fine, then there are the ones that know it all already...
Providing the so called teacher actually knows what they are doing.

I figured you were referring to him. Studied up on his "vertical snap cut" for tripping hung trees on youtube last year. Yeah, and I'm still in one piece. Only thing he might have mentioned in the video is if you make that cut on a tree hung up downhill, the trunk can swing downhill like a pendulum until it's standing straight up when it hits something and rebounds. Lucky for me, the spar stayed hung, but I was out of there in a hurry. That's how I remember Murphy4Trees.

Is this guy still alive? I haven't cut long, and just know that 1. looks like a whole lot more work than doing it right. 2. Looks a whole lot more dangerous.

I did have a nasty barberchair once though :)

Okay, when a tree gets stupid like this, How does one clean it up? I would assume not going after the strip of tree stuck to the trunk, that just looks like it will get interesting and dangerous very quickly. Is the best method to start limbing what is down until there is a controllable bit of the tree left?

Okay, when a tree gets stupid like this, How does one clean it up? I would assume not going after the strip of tree stuck to the trunk, that just looks like it will get interesting and dangerous very quickly. Is the best method to start limbing what is down until there is a controllable bit of the tree left?

if it feels like there is pressure ,id just cut it down again ,put a face a foot below the old one and do a back cut so you have some holding wood to control it from popping , those short saws scare me falling anything ,i like longer bars keep my face away from popping stuff

way to get the job done, and NOT the way to advise a non expert.

Falling trees does not necessarily require a fast powerful saw, but sure is a Hel of alot safer with one. Non experts should leave the scary stuff to the experts. But they don't, so some people feel obliged to step in and correct the situation.

As far as you standing next to them and telling them what to do, chances are you'll both get killed, or maimed then. Especially if you advise cutting like my previous quote from you. Stop and think real hard before giving advice, and ask yourself if someone gets killed because I told them to do it a certain way, can I live with myself? The law be damned its you you'll have to live with.

if it feels like there is pressure ,id just cut it down again ,put a face a foot below the old one and do a back cut so you have some holding wood to control it from popping , those short saws scare me falling anything ,i like longer bars keep my face away from popping stuff

okay, so in this case, the fact that there is 3 feet of trunk remaining can serve to remedy the cut? and your next cut would be below the current one (of course, duh!) and with a proper wedge cut out, followed by the back cut? Am I understanding your thoughts correctly? Thanks!

Back