BC 1000 Diesel Vs Gas

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan@OTT

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all,
Just looking for some friendly advice.
I'm about to upgrade from a Vermeer 6" to the BC1000. The equipment rental store has a few options available for BC1000's. Most noteable are a 2013 gas chipper with 274 hours (at least that's what the meter reads) for around 20k$.
They also have a diesel bc 1000 with 1019 hours, 2011, for 16k$ (possibly negotiable). There's no doubt that I need a new chipper... the question is would you go with the older diesel or the newer gas (even assuming the price difference isn't that big a deal, as I plan on keeping and using either chipper for years and years to come). Which would you choose and why?
I know diesel is usually the preferred way to go, I was just hoping to get some expert advice on the matter as I'm no mechanic!
Thanks
Ryan
Over The Top Tree Service

2011 diesel might be a tier 3 type ( really not to bad) tier 4 are a pia. diesels require a bit more maintenance than a gasser - fuel filters need to be changed on a regular basis plus water separator draining if not automatic. That said they generally enjoy a longer life span than a gasser added benifit more torque at lower rpm. so more miserly on fuel consumption but that is somewhat offset by the current fuel pricing- but you can use off road/ ag diesel if conveniently available which might be less cost wise per gal, just do not use it in any car or truck that is on the road. if the gasser is fuel injected they are about a horse apiece in that area repair wise.

Back