Biggest Stump I Have Seen, In Person

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a stump to do that is a bastid. I'll get pic's tomorrow. Coral tree behind a retaining wall. The wall is about 3' high and the ground about 2' higher. The wall has to come down to do it as it has pushed the wall out some. Gonna start with a Vermeer 672. At the start, the stump grinder will be below the stump.
Jeff

Dang, I think I got it now. stupid computer's!.

This one measured over 84" If I remember correctly:

dadbuck018-1.jpg

dadbuck023-2.jpg

Looking for a pic I have of me standing in front of regrowth from a huge Redwood stump takin in Sonoma County in Cali. There are like 6 or 8 huge Redwoods growing from an old growth Redwood stump that was cut many years back. It was like 50" or something crazy like that. I'll see if I can find the pic.

Biggest stump seen 25' dia, 16 feet high or biggest stump made, 11'9", maybe 20' on the downhill side.
The largest stump I saw removed was close to 15 feet in diameter, it took a D8K 3 hours.

I worked for a guy who built his forge inside a redwood stump. you entered the front through a door he cut with a chainsaw and it was big enough to really get stuff done it was about 10 X 10 inside burned out from fire with a tin roof. I did a stump cleaning job that consisted of climbing up the sides of old growth stumps the were at least 10 ft across. its like a volcano coming out of the ground with boggy moss and duff, huckleberrys growing off it. when you clear it out its quite a relic from the day with the curly grain and springboard pegs moss ect. Alot of properties and farms have them. you need a 090 to even consider removing one all day quarting it up and the peices are so big you need a forklift..idf you resaw the quarters its absolute freaking amazing grain sometimes 1000yrs old..i slabbed a peice one day and the grain was bubbles like underwater..perhaps called dragonsbreath? theres alot of charecteristics of stumps that make them more special than the tree..i have pics but i have to shuffle..there wild looking

Stupendous Stumps

hers pics of a standing tree alive and healthy with a hollow base, and the slabbing action! theres a Echo( never buy one) in front for scale.

Making more stumps..:msp_razz: This is low budget..lol the logs stayed that way and the guy chainsaw milled all of it..no brains no problem

Last edited:
OK, question: Many of you think that stump's worth around $1,000, give or take, to grind. Maybe more for cleanup. Just out of curiosity, what do you think the tree removal was worth? I know, the tree's gone in the photo so it's hard to say, but obviously it was big and had to come down in pieces. Around here, stump grinding typically amounts to a small fraction of the tree removal cost.....$1,000 stump grinding would make that one very expensive tree. I don't consider myself to live in a poor area, but $1,000 is pushing what most people want to spend on tree removal (yes, of course, some trees cost more). Just curious what you guys think. I'm not doubting that stump is worth a lot to remove, but you can only get what the market will bear no matter what you "think" it's worth, and around here I don't think you could walk away with a grand.

Latest posts

Back