Can you fix this

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitedogone

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Sorry about the bad pic. But, this is a 50mm (038 super) cylinder that came on a donor case that I have for a 038 rebuild. Someone had done a ****** helicoil repair on the plug hole. Now I have a 48mm slug and jug I can just slap on....but if I could get a quality repair done on this and pick up a metor 50mm slug (one that came with is toast) I mighty go that route.

IMG_6004.JPG

Haha! The censoring elves missed the S bomb in your post !

But anyway... Maybe it can be welded and re tapped? I dunno, I'm not a repair guy.

Helicoils were common from the factory on older cylinders.
I bet that's an OEM helicoil and someone cross threaded a plug into it.
Can you blow the pic up a little more, I'm having trouble seeing it.....

I, ll try to get a better pic. It looks like it's a repair. The helical is very short
Not even the same length as the plug. It really needs an solid insert....not a helicoil. I go ogled and found big-sert. Not sure is something like that is needed or if a reg. Insert will work.

i fixed a 460 for myfriends boss,,brand new saw one guy over tightened the plug and striped it i cant remember the name but i think it came from napa,,you cut out the old thread woth a supplied ream or cutter then after it cuts the old thread it makes new one,,,then you screw in the right insert and above the threads are spikes you have a dowl that fits in the insert you tap it with a hammer and its permanent,,,it still hasnt had any problems and thats been 6 months back,,,i will find the name for you...

Time-sert makes the big-sert. Problem is the price of the tooling:mad:

Every insert requires tooling, none are cheap and it takes some mechanical/ machining knowledge to do it right. I have done 26 cylinders so far using 3 different systems and each one requires specific tooling. Likely best to find someone with the tooling and knowledge to put one in for you unless you plan on doing 4 or more to come close to paying off your investment.

the perma plug comes with the tools to do it,,,the cutter and and tap are the same tool once you cut out the old threads it start cutting new ones,,,it centers itself and is about as easy as it comes,,,20 bucks ,,well worth that to save a cylinder.

I use a solid insert carried by NAPA. Any of their stores should have them. Best I've found so far.

HeliCoil 'Sav-A-Thread' #5334-14 kit. Got it at O'Reilleys for 20-30 USD. Solid insert and not the usual shaped wire coil shown in the botched repair above.

Self guiding reamer/tap cuts the threads and then screw in the insert. Set the 'teeth' with the supplied driver. Works great! Done three cylinders so far.

HeliCoil 'Sav-A-Thread' #5334-14 kit. Got it at O'Reilleys for 20-30 USD. Solid insert and not the usual shaped wire coil shown in the botched repair above.

Self guiding reamer/tap cuts the threads and then screw in the insert. Set the 'teeth' with the supplied driver. Works great! Done three cylinders so far.

Yup, that's my way of fixing em

Which cylinders have you done with this setup?
It might be number 4 in my arsenal if the tooling works better than the other three sets I have used. The reamer/ threaders are too long on them and hit the opposite side of the combustion chamber before the threads for the insert can be fully cut deep enough. Most of these sets were initially designed for automotive use.

I've done 272, 353, and MS-460 cylinders so far with this kit- it works slick and the repairs are solid. Mweba even made a how-to video on Youtube about it. The big thing about it is, recessing the insert far enough into the cylinder so that the shoulder of the spark plug is resting against the cylinder itself, not the insert material.

Hopefully there is enough "meat" left after removing the helicoil.IMGP6937.JPG

Which cylinders have you done with this setup?
It might be number 4 in my arsenal if the tooling works better than the other three sets I have used. The reamer/ threaders are too long on them and hit the opposite side of the combustion chamber before the threads for the insert can be fully cut deep enough. Most of these sets were initially designed for automotive use.

One was a Poulan 306A and another was a Pioneer P-41. The other I don't remember. The tool was short enuff I had no issues with clearence.

Latest posts

Back