Carlton 4012 Bearing play question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontbthatguy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'v noticed recently I slight vibration in my controls lately. I inspected the wheel, and found that one side has larger wear than the other, so I am under the impression that was causing the vibration. I am just about to hit 500 hours on the machine.

Yesterday I noticed I am having side to side play in where the jackshaft comes through the bearing on the lower jackshaft. if I pull evenly to the side on my cutting wheel, the jackshaft will move about a 1/16th of an inch. It isn't much.

That bearing has been taking a lot of grease the last few months to purge, so I figured it was on its way out. It doesn't make any noise, and isn't ever hot to the touch, but I figure how much grease its eating is a bad sign.

My main question is how long do I have till I must replace these bearings? I would love to hold off a month from now as I have a vacation planned which would be the perfect time to do the work.

I am curious to see if anyone has any insight or has done the work before.

While I am replacing those lower bearings, I am planning on replacing the 2 sprockets and poly chain belt, and the wheel.

Should I order a new lower jackshaft too? or should that be okay?

Any insight would be great.

Thanks!

Back