'Chain Buddies' - Good News and Bad

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In one of those "How Do You Store Your Chains" threads someone mentioned 'Chain Buddies' - telescoping, plastic containers that hold individual chains.

The Bad news: apparently, the originals are no longer available.

The Sort-Of-Good news: at my local Home Depot yesterday, they had their store brand of chain packaged in a similar container, instead of the throw-away package.

Maybe this means we will be seeing them again? (DeWalt also uses something similar for bulk packs of reciprocating saw blades).

Maybe one of our sponsor vendors can find these and make them available?

Maybe this means that we have to lurk in the aisles of THD and wait for someone to buy the 000 chain (" . . pssst, Hey, Buddy - give you a dollar for the package in the parking lot . . . ")?

(Spacemule - can you help a buddy out?)

Philbert

If I'm understanding the chain buddy device properly that is a great idea and I'd love to have some.

They make those types of containers in many sizes for packing and shipping items. I had a shipping supplies catalog that sold them. I don't remember the sizes or prices but I'm going to look for the catalog.

Hmmmm, it should be in my reloading room in the catalogs section because I ordered bullet shipping boxes from them...

Give me a few minutes.

Mr. HE:cool:

Here is a partial photo.

Philbert

attachment.php

I use heavy freezer bags and write DL/length and type on the label spot. I've got them all in a black plastic shotgun shell box I got from Bass Pro. It even has a little lid for cleaning supplies in the top that works great for files and sharpening bits. It holds a lot of chains.

Here's a link to that "bad boy": http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...04_425000000_425005000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_SEARCH

$10, plus some quart sized freezer bags. I filed the chains across the width so I have a row of 16", a row of 20", a row of 24", and the rest is long stuff.

I use heavy freezer bags and write DL/length and type on the label spot. I've got them all in a black plastic shotgun shell box I got from Bass Pro. It even has a little lid for cleaning supplies in the top that works great for files and sharpening bits. It holds a lot of chains.

Here's a link to that "bad boy": http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s...04_425000000_425005000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_SEARCH

$10, plus some quart sized freezer bags. I filed the chains across the width so I have a row of 16", a row of 20", a row of 24", and the rest is long stuff.

Same here except I use an old ammo box for my tools/chains. The freezer bags take up almost zero space and keep the 'toolbox rash' from dulling the chains.

Sandwich bags do not work - I tried them first and they don't last but about one use. The freezer ones last a long time.
Harry K

I put my chains in those Lock&Lock food containers. They're handy as all get out. They lock tight on all four sides and have a rubber seal. I got them at Meijer (kinda like Wal-Mart here, but a lot better). I roll the chains up and throw a piece of chipboard inbetween the chains.
aal.sized.jpg

And a pic of them in my tool box.
aan.sized.jpg

This is about as good as my personal chains get it :)

25112009611.jpg

New chains are in the boxes for use one day if I need them.

And yeah, those plastic food containers are excellent - I've used them before with the clip lids but unfortunately started using more chains than would fit.

A Follow Up

Not endorsing these, but the telescoping chain holders I referenced above are apparently called "Chain Tamers" (not Chain Buddies). Sorry for the error.

Apparently, they are still available. I was quoted $3.50 ea. $3.25 ea. for 10+ Larger quantity discounts might be available. They are made out of polyethylene.

Contact is:
Dennis Westphal
538 Eaken Avenue, Buffalo, MN 55313

[email protected]
763-682-4739 - home
612-805-7613 cell

Philbert

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
the pic was of my tote box with some of them sticking out. Sorry phil, I haven't gotten back to my house to take better pics of them.
I bought a couple dozen a decade back (much cheaper of course then) from Dennis W. He is a half hour west of here.

My 'review':
+ a specialized niche, they do well. They keep the fresh cutters from touching any other metal, which is especially good for chains rattling around in the truck or trailer. Even when the chain sort of settles to the bottom of the tube, it zig zags back and forth but cutters don't touch other steel.
+ fits 12 inch to 24 chains. I can't recall on larger, but think I have some 28 in one also.
+They are well made, light, strong at below zero temps, and handy to store bread knives in also !

- they take up a lot of space in storage, although the length, with chain inside, telescopes down to a couple inches less then the nominal bar size.
- the space is long and skinny, longer than the tote tub, so they stick out the side. Which means storing a bunch of them doesn't work in the tub, especially with the plywood vise on top. If you have a long bar bag or box, that would be a good place for them. I don't.
-They are sort of clutzy to carried separately into the wood, but on the
+, they protect the chain if laying around with a bunch of stuff in a box or bucket in the woods.

My conclusion: They are not the answer for all storage for every person. I would not use them for all storage. I really like them, but they take too much space and are a bit spendy for a couple dozen. I use the plastic freezer bags or tubs. Even the original boxes take a lot of space in a toolbox.
I do use them to store chains I don't use much, that have a lot of 'frequent flier miles' in the trailer on them before I need to use them. (Like ripping or skip chains). Then I don't have to touch up chain from being dinged around against other cutters.
I can see good use for homeowners with only a few chains that don't take good care of them in storage. Toss in some oil, hang on the hook on the wall, and they are protected.
I can see good use for them for Phil's situation, storing chains that get handled by volunteers who aren't very careful with what they do.
I can see good use for storing race chains or that super special secret filed chain you want to protect well.
I used one for storing a carving knife on a canoe trip.

I am full up for what I need the rest of my life, but I would buy them again.

kcj

Last edited:
Chain Tamers
http://www.marketlaunchers.com/westphal.html

I have found I can store a number of chains in the OEM chain box or plastic containers.

Consolidating the small saw chains is easy. It's the 20"/25" loops that are the toughest for me to find adequate storage.

I wanted a solution that would allow me to hangs the chains on a peg board with bars, as well as transition into the saw case.

Rubbermaid TakeAlongs available at Kmart and Target for cheap, might be a solution. I need to visit a local shtore to check them out.

7a96-2-large.jpg

... or these at Kmart for less than $1 apiece.

http://www.kmart.com:80/shc/s/p_101...itchen+Storage&sName=Storage+Sets+&+Canisters

011W928560110001

Latest posts

Back