ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Chip Truck Rocket Ship

Discussion in 'Forestry and Logging Forum' started by bfrazier, May 10, 2019.

1. bfrazier

bfrazier ArboristSite Operative

Ever wonder how the pro's get the chips out of the trucks... fast?
    Chip Trailers are tipped to a 67 degree angle as shown - with the truck still attached.
    [​IMG]

And now the twice as fast version...
    [​IMG]
    Weyerhaeuser Chip Facility, Springfield Oregon
    These wood chips are delivered from various saw mills and Weyerhaeuser then sells them to International Paper. If you have enough logs that won't make saw grade, on site chipping is also a viable alternative, or you can sell loads of logs directly to this facility for chipping at the mill.

sawfun, Saiso, madhatte and 3 others like this.
  2. firmwood

firmwood ArboristSite Operative

Cheaper then buying a trailer with a walking deck.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

bfrazier and Duce like this.
  3. Duce

Duce Addicted to ArboristSite

Can the driver remain in truck while unloading? :crazy2:

bfrazier likes this.
  4. bfrazier

bfrazier ArboristSite Operative

No, they are in a safety area. Could be fun... if you have the courage! (And don't mind getting fired.)

What could possibly go wrong?? :crazy:

Duce likes this.
  5. old CB

old CB ArboristSite Operative

Cool.

Reminds me of unloading a wheat truck during harvest (back in the day) if the truck's hydraulic lift was out of commission. You pulled the truck's front end onto some dolly arrangement (thirty years back, so memory is dim). Activate the lift and raise the wheat truck to a similar but probably less steep position. Gravity works.

Cool pic, bfrazier. Thanks.

sawfun, Duce and bfrazier like this.
  6. birddogsrule

birddogsrule ArboristSite Lurker

Have them in several pulp mills up here,saw an idiot having his trailer dumped and he left the engine running. others you back the trailer on and disconnect the horse.

bfrazier likes this.
  7. peakbagger

peakbagger ArboristSite Member

I bought one of them eleven years ago for a project in eastern NC, I think it was Phelps but didn't have the box on the end. I also installed a BID version from New Brunswick. The Phelps was only used four years and the state pulled the subsidy so there it sits. Looking on google earth it was still there in 2018. I think the financial firm that owns it doesn't want to strip out the plant. It was a nice dumper. I have run into portable dumpers at various sites over the years and every one is very scary. The BID unit made it about 6 years before it got sold when the pulpmill it was in was shut down.

The pulp mill I worked at had a custom built double dumper with a design flaw in the primary hinges. One side of the hinge was bolted into a concrete foundation and the other side was tied to the deck. Chips could build up between the two halves of the hinge and would jolt the hinge every time it went up. One time a truck was part of the way in the air and one of the hinges pulled part of the way out of the concrete. The entire deck rotated about 30 degrees side ways with the truck still in place but at quite an angle. It took a crane and lot of work to get the truck off and it didn't come out in one piece. It was a double dumper and after that the drivers had to pull the tractor off for every dump on the remaining one. I was on vacation that week so didn't get any pictures. Several years later the remaining one had the same issue and I got a contractor in and made some serious modifications to beef it up. Most of the mill got stripped and converted to a power plant so I don't have to worry about that repair coming back to haunt me.

bfrazier likes this.
  8. Saiso

Saiso Mountain Ranger

Wow!! Gotta show this to people at work tomorrow.

bfrazier likes this.