Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sean Donato- do you have a relative named Justin Donato living in Florida? I play disc golf with him.
I have no idea, I dont really know anyone on my biological fathers side. I was adopted in my teens, and we decided not to have my last name changed. So it's possible. Never met my biological father, or any of his family.

And nobody understands why I throw saws under the workbench rather than put up with the general public.
I can remember the 'good ol days'... no internet, no cell fones... just newspaper and dial fones. put an ad in local paper, Classifieds - Auto Parts & Accs... with phone #... and just about every call... legit. and if interested boneafides showed up. ez to qualify a guy on fone. now all they want to do is email, text... and 'got any more pix!??'...

just ck the recent Inaugural... those good ol days are long gone along with some other things, too.

There are deals tho, talking to guy that works at the scrap yard and he picked up a newer rider lawn tractor, 54" mower deck, with snowblower for $300. Everything well taken care of, seller never listed his phone, just email. Guy emailed and day later seller replied. Seller said he was first guy to reply to add in 2 weeks.

Deals out there!

There are deals tho, talking to guy that works at the scrap yard and he picked up a newer rider lawn tractor, 54" mower deck, with snowblower for $300. Everything well taken care of, seller never listed his phone, just email. Guy emailed and day later seller replied. Seller said he was first guy to reply to add in 2 weeks.

Deals out there!

Yeah, but it's technically illegal to sell your neighbor's lawn tractor while he's at work, even if he does park it outside...

Today's CraigsList Adventure
'CL' = CLoak and Dagger? - Craig's LIst conversation today for a $10 item.

(Him - email): Can you deliver this to my wife's office at xxx and yyy streets?

(Me - email): Send me a phone number to set something up.
NOTE: I normally do not deliver, but this was just a few blocks away, and I was about to run some errands anyway. It was something that had been listed for a while, and I was happy to sell it.

He emails me his phone number carefully disguised as '123-456-789-four'. But the bottom of his email had his 'signature':
Joe Smith
Smith Construction
Phone: 123-456-7894
Address: . . .

(Me): I can do this right now if that works for you.

(Him): My wife does not want you to know where she works. And she is afraid of CORONAVIRUS. She will be in a black hatchback. Put the item in the rear hatch and the $10 will be there.
So now it is sounding like a meth deal . . .

(Me): What is her name?

(Him): I'm not gonna tell you.

(Me): OK, I will call her 'Mrs. Joe'. What kind of car is it?

(Him): I'm not gonna tell you. It will be the only black hatchback at the corner.

(Me): First of all this is sounding creepy. How do I know that you are not gonna rip me off for this $10 item? I have to find the car. And once I do, it won't be a secret anymore, will it?

(Him): OK, it's a Toyota Prius. What kind of car do you have?

(Me): A Subaru.
Well, the 'drop' went off pretty smooth. Glad I watched that Clint Eastwood movie before! Apparently, she snapped a photo of the goods and sent it to him, because I got a call.

(Him): It does not look like the picture on Craig's List. I don't see the label.

(Me): Tell your wife to turn it over.

This is why I don't like to deliver stuff.

Philbert

NOTE: I normally do not deliver, but this was just a few blocks away, and I was about to run some errands anyway. It was something that had been listed for a while, and I was happy to sell it.

He emails me his phone number carefully disguised as '123-456-789-four'. But the bottom of his email had his 'signature':
Joe Smith
Smith Construction

(Him): My wife does not want you to know where she works. And she is afraid of CORONAVIRUS. She will be in a black hatchback. Put the item in the rear hatch and the $10 will be there.

(Him): I'm not gonna tell you. It will be the only black hatchback at the corner.

(Me): First of all this is sounding creepy. How do I know that you are not gonna rip me off for this $10 item? I have to find the car. And once I do, it won't be a secret anymore, will it?

Well, the 'drop' went off pretty smooth. Glad I watched that Clint Eastwood movie before! Apparently, she snapped a photo of the goods and sent it to him, because I got a call.

(Him): It does not look like the picture on Craig's List. I don't see the label.

Philbert
I had a guy that worked with me that bought and sold guns on Craig’s list. I told him he was nuts! He said “I have them meet me at the local sheriffs office parking lot and if they don’t want to deal that’s cool, I don’t want to buy from them cause its not legit.” He said he usually called the sheriffs office to let them know that there was going to be a private transaction taking place. Never had any issues and actually bought and sold several guns to/from officers private collections through Craig’s list. This was in Texas maybe 6 years ago. I still thought he was crazy but he did have a nice collection of pistols.

Joe Smith
Smith Construction

Philbert

I used to scrounge for firewood sometimes because it sounded easier than dragging trees out of the woods, but I quit. Mostly because of Craigslist people.

I had it set up with one guy that I would go pick up some rounds that a tree service had left on the curb by his house. He wouldn't tell me the address, said he'd tell me right before I came to get it. Okay?? So at the appointed time I asked him for the address again, and he replied that his wife was watching on the security camera and he was calling the police because people were STEALING THE WOOD off his curb. Yes, they were stealing the wood that he had advertised on the "Free Stuff" section of Craigslist. And also he had some other stuff he needed me to pick up in back of the house.

I realized that 1) This information did not contain an address, and 2) it would be way easier and saner to go drop a tree than to deal with this guy and his wife, so I blocked him and did that. Hope it worked out for him with the police and The Case Of People Stealing Rounds Off The Curb.

Back