Do You hate Flippy Caps? Twiply caps are now here and better :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitive Dave

wanna-be saw racer, saw hoarder, parts whore
Reaction score
the voices in my head tell me to buy chainsaws
Arrived today 500 pairs of the twist in only flippy cap replacements.
Builders and guys who pre-ordered qty yours are packed and will ship tomorrow AM first thing.
375 pairs remain.
gratuitous Ebay link -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-Chain...NEW-CCC-MS290-MS440-MS460-READ-/322035731612?
12.00 a pair shipped in the USA
I will try to set up listings for Canada and Australia next week, the shipping is just brutal, I am trying to explore some options.
There are some pictures in the listing but I will post comparison pictures here between the current third generation OEM Stihl flippy, the common aftermarket flippy, the LCS push button flippy and the Twiply CCC cap.

Left to right : OEM 3G, AM, Twiply, Pushy
IMG_1980.JPG

Same order
IMG_1981.JPG

Side View Twiply
IMG_1982.JPG

Side view of Pushy - the button is actually mostly recessed into the center rib so you kind of push it into the cap to move the locking pin on the edge - Gregg said they went through several different designs and prototypes before settling on this for production
IMG_1983.JPG

Twiply and Pushy

Attachments

• IMG_1984.JPG
    IMG_1984.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
Arrived today 500 pairs of the twist in only flippy cap replacements.
Builders and guys who pre-ordered qty yours are packed and will ship tomorrow AM first thing.
375 pairs remain.
gratuitous Ebay link -
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stihl-Chain...NEW-CCC-MS290-MS440-MS460-READ-/322035731612?
12.00 a pair shipped in the USA
I will try to set up listings for Canada and Australia next week, the shipping is just brutal, I am trying to explore some options.
There are some pictures in the listing but I will post comparison pictures here between the current third generation OEM Stihl flippy, the common aftermarket flippy, the LCS push button flippy and the Twiply CCC cap.

img_1980-jpg.14848

Left to right : OEM 3G, AM, Twiply, Pushy
img_1981-jpg.14849

Same order

img_1982-jpg.14850

Side View Twiply

img_1983-jpg.14851

Side view of Pushy - the button is actually mostly recessed into the center rib so you kind of push it into the cap to move the locking pin on the edge - Gregg said they went through several different designs and prototypes before settling on this for production

img_1984-jpg.14854

Twiply and Pushy
Pics are a no go sir.

Gregg had sent me one of the push button style caps to field test. (all the way on the right in the first pic) My opinion (which I shared with him) is that I don't see any advantage over the flippy. It didn't leak at all though. I've had mixed results with aftermarket flippies leaking.

The fact that the button needs to be pushed in to loosen it is a disadvantage. I've no experience with the twirly. My primary solution remains to be the older 0 series Stihls. I know a lot of people think the flippies are great and not an issue but even after having dozens of saws that use them, I still detest them.

Gregg had sent me one of the push button style caps to field test. (all the way on the right in the first pic) My opinion (which I shared with him) is that I don't see any advantage over the flippy. It didn't leak at all though. I've had mixed results with aftermarket flippies leaking.

The fact that the button needs to be pushed in to loosen it is a disadvantage. I've no experience with the twirly. My primary solution remains to be the older 0 series Stihls. I know a lot of people think the flippies are great and not an issue but even after having dozens of saws that use them, I still detest them.
Pm me your address I'll get you a pair to try
Dave

For shipping to Canada, have a look at First Class Mail International and see if that works for you. On something this inexpensive, there is no need for tracking like Priority Mail. I hope you can find a reasonable shipping solution as I'd like to buy a set of these.

Back