Dolmar 350 Muffler Mod ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fuzz1500

Since you fellas gave me confidence yesterday to do a muffler mod on my lil Echo...I was gonna see what you guys thought about a muffler mod on my Dolmar 350 . I know its not a 420 or 421........but I have it and I like it....so I might as well see if I can get it to breath better . Has no carb limiters on it anymore :) Anyone done one of these style mufflers before ? Always nice to check it out before I start rippin things apart !! hahaha
002.JPG

I have been wanting to put my 350 on the bench and mod the muffler as well but I notice the High side of the carb is blocked off!!:mad:
Did your 350 have the High side blocked?
I know mine has a CAT muffler as well. Does yours?
Im sorry im not much help on this one.... Just comparing notes.

I have been wanting to put my 350 on the bench and mod the muffler as well but I notice the High side of the carb is blocked off!!:mad:
Did your 350 have the High side blocked?
I know mine has a CAT muffler as well. Does yours?
Im sorry im not much help on this one.... Just comparing notes.

Glad there is another 350 guy out there !! They seem to get over looked for the 420 and 421 (Id like one too! :) ). Looks like we can get through this together !! The high side carb screw was blocked off . If I remember correctly..it was just a plastic cap that popped out . Had to push it inside towards the carb . I think I had to do some maneuvering with a small screwdriver and needle nose pliers to get it out . It was a thing I had to do . When my saw was in the break in period...the weather here was changing back and forth between winter and spring temps . It needed adjustment tweaks every day i took it out . Now that its broken in.....its not as needy !! P.S...I have the cat muffler too . Looks like the muffler splits in two which should be very helpful for us . Guess Ill have to dig in a little and find out :)

They locked the thread about how to make a saw quieter. Kind of amusing as discussing modifying the mufflers seems a violation of the terms of use of the site.

I have the 351 which seems to pull six teeth spur sprocket of the low profile 3/8 chain sufficiently well for my purposes. I believe the blocked off high speed adjustment was for a short period of time now it looks like a plug or part of a nail sticking out but is adjustable with a special tool or perhaps a slot carved into it. I have not seen a need to tamper with mine though one needs be kind of careful about getting burned on the muffler for quite a while after turning it off.

The cat muffler splits in half and then there are just 2 spot welds that hold the cat in. Drill them out and that part is taken care of. 350/ 420 just has a plastic cap filling the adjustment hole 351/421 saw had the adjustments epoxied shut for awhile they have since stopped that

Glad there is another 350 guy out there !! They seem to get over looked for the 420 and 421 (Id like one too! :) ). Looks like we can get through this together !! The high side carb screw was blocked off . If I remember correctly..it was just a plastic cap that popped out . Had to push it inside towards the carb . I think I had to do some maneuvering with a small screwdriver and needle nose pliers to get it out . It was a thing I had to do . When my saw was in the break in period...the weather here was changing back and forth between winter and spring temps . It needed adjustment tweaks every day i took it out . Now that its broken in.....its not as needy !! P.S...I have the cat muffler too . Looks like the muffler splits in two which should be very helpful for us . Guess Ill have to dig in a little and find out :)
Well thats good your high side was easy to make adjustable! Mine is epoxied shut!!
The problem I have right now is TIME! I have way to many saws to get out the door before I can give the little Dolmar some attention. (I forgot to say... I have a 351. Im sure its pretty darn close though)
I have seen the other threads you have started and I noticed the nice pictures! If you get a chance could you throw a few up here to show what you found? Thanks alot!

The cat muffler splits in half and then there are just 2 spot welds that hold the cat in. Drill them out and that part is taken care of. 350/ 420 just has a plastic cap filling the adjustment hole 351/421 saw had the adjustments epoxied shut for awhile they have since stopped that
Mine saw has the epoxied filled High side adjustment. Do you know if there is a way to dig that junk out of there to make it adjustable?

They locked the thread about how to make a saw quieter. Kind of amusing as discussing modifying the mufflers seems a violation of the terms of use of the site.
That's not true. It's a common topic here. That thread may have gotten locked when the forum got hacked and crashed. Copying everything over to the new format may have screwed something up. Ask the mods to open it back up.

Well thats good your high side was easy to make adjustable! Mine is epoxied shut!!
The problem I have right now is TIME! I have way to many saws to get out the door before I can give the little Dolmar some attention. (I forgot to say... I have a 351. Im sure its pretty darn close though)
I have seen the other threads you have started and I noticed the nice pictures! If you get a chance could you throw a few up here to show what you found? Thanks alot!

Sorry you have the epoxy thing . I will definetly take pics and write what i find . I would assume the mufflers are the same . Hopefully I will get into it today or tonight sometime !

Completed our group project !! I did my 350..but I think its pretty much the same for the 420,351,421 as well .Was very interesting . Very clogged up muffler . Think I could probably make another outlet lower sometime...but for now I am happy . Sounds freakin awesome !! Dont forget to tweak your carbs after words . Better safe than sorry !!
002.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 007.JPG 008.JPG 010.JPG 013.JPG 017.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

I have the 351 which seems to pull six teeth spur sprocket of the low profile 3/8 chain sufficiently well for my purposes. I believe the blocked off high speed adjustment was for a short period of time now it looks like a plug or part of a nail sticking out but is adjustable with a special tool or perhaps a slot carved into it. I have not seen a need to tamper with mine though one needs be kind of careful about getting burned on the muffler for quite a while after turning it off.
i believe the thread got locked because one of the people wanting a quieter chainsaw was cutter where he wasnt supposed to.

Cool!!! Nice Job!! I bet that really did wake the saw up and make it sound better! How much faster do you think it cuts?
Oh and thanks for all the good pictures!

Unfortunatly I wont get to test out the improvements in a real cutting situation till after the holidays probably . It does sound cool...and has a noticeable amount more blip in the throttle . A little more jumpy in the hands too . Maybe its all in my head :) :cry::cry:

Unfortunatly I wont get to test out the improvements in a real cutting situation till after the holidays probably . It does sound cool...and has a noticeable amount more blip in the throttle . A little more jumpy in the hands too . Maybe its all in my head :) :cry::cry:

No its not in your head!!!.... Im sure you will see very noticeable gains. Its crazy how a simple muffler mod will put a grin on your face!!!:D:D

Nice saw! What all have you done to it to make it your race saw?

I had one of the builders do the work.
Started with a brand new saw, I wanted it to look good!
Bigger carb thats been borded out. Bigger fuel line.
The muffler has lost alot of parts also.:)
Squish cut.
A few other things too

All for one race a year where they have 2 cube class. First prize is ten dollars cash!

I had one of the builders do the work.
Started with a brand new saw, I wanted it to look good!
Bigger carb thats been borded out. Bigger fuel line.
The muffler has lost alot of parts also.:)
Squish cut.
A few other things too

All for one race a year where they have 2 cube class. First prize is ten dollars cash!

Sweeet !!!! Id like to take that out in the woods for a while ! Its gotta be very close to the 350...stock anyway !! I think its like 0.3 H.P. more . So im guessing if I had mine built..it would be close anyway,,,hmmmmmmm !!!:rolleyes: :rock:

Back