Drying vs Non-Drying Vegetable Oils

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How is that possible,they don't mix.Oil rides on top of water.
They never stay mixed,always separate.
I am not an expert on this subject, but according to scientific writings I've read this is not entirely correct, but depends on oil type. Oil contamination affects especially taste and smell of water, but oil products contain harmful substances that can be water soluble.

Sent from my DMC-CM1 using Tapatalk

You win, the highway air is full of oil mist, you have to scrape it off the windscreen when you get home. :eek: So therefore no need to clean up your act with the chainsaw; proceed as before :rolleyes:
You're getting a bit carried away there, there is a film of oil over all roads & highways and a small shower of rain makes the roads so greasy it can be really dangerous, so it gets there somehow, I know after using a saw all day I don't come home oily & have to scape oil off myself, or the ever see any oil specks or film on the sunglasses I wear when I cut .
It would be good to actually see how much oil is breathed in both situations to make a better judgment!
Tranks

Oils and water mix, the petroleum from the ground is refined to have the water removed. Water can be remixed with that oil using some of the other chemicals that were also removed during refining. There are also other sources for different chemicals to use.

Plant oils are also refined to have the amount of water reduced, hopefully to less than 2%. This is not always the case, depends on the end use of the oils. The more refining the higher the price, the less amount of product per dollar, however the product may fit the application better.

The amount of misted oil that can be breathed is basically up for debate. One of the issues being types of oils. It should not be assumed that plant based oils are inherently safer than a highly refined petroleum oil, it depends on the oils. It appears to be a safe assumption that breathing less petroleum oil is a good idea. I would think that breathing less of any oil is probably a good idea.

Starch is often used in plant based oils as an additive to change the characteristics of the oil for application, blade lube and chain lube for example, other additives as well being less green. Keeping the oils from beginning the oxidation process during storage and use is another area where the trade offs get less green. The amount of refining and type of additives in the plant oil also help define its in use temperature ratings. Blade and chain lubes often require the storage tank to be heated and the oil to be held in a narrower temp range than petroleum. If the temps are not controlled additives may settle out, the oil may start to congeal, may freeze, oxidation may start taking place, different grades/types of oils may separate, foaming may occur, etc.

It should not be assumed that plant based oils are inherently safer than a highly refined petroleum oil, it depends on the oils

Er, once again, no. There are health problems even with the most highly refined mineral oils. Here's an article that puts it in layman's terms:

3 Key Reasons to Avoid Mineral Oil

Mineral oil is available in different grades. At the bottom of the list, so to speak, is “technical” grade, which is used to lubricate engines and equipment. The World Health Organization (WHO) has found that this unpurified form contains contaminants that have been linked in studies to an increased risk of cancer. A 2011 report by the National Toxicology Program, for example, stated, “Untreated and mildly treated mineral oils are known to be human carcinogens based on sufficient evidence of carcinogenicity from studies in humans.”

Gerry....you really have a tendency to take what people say and counter it having not fully digested it. The above poster didn't say that mineral oils are safe, he said that one shouldn't assume vegetable oils are safe. Very different meanings.

This thread would go over so much better if you didn't assume that everyone wants to **** all over the environment. The reality is that most people have just tried to put everything into perspective. A lot of us have seen the world over and recognize that all the chainsaws on the planet amount to little compared to the real pollution that occurs.

A lower level of contention would make this a 10X better thread.

The reality you have to face is it wouldn't be 6 pages long if people had ZERO interest in the subject. I am absolutely interested in vegoils...I'm just not willing to muck up a saw or pay 3X over. If and when I feel like there's a health benefit, I may indeed change my tune. However, a chainsaw makes up a very small portion of my lifetime exposure to petroleum at this point.

Petroleum-based bar oils are banned in Austria.
I don't believe that's true if they're currently selling petrol based chainsaw bar oil for use on chainsaws.

I've seen oil stains on the ground from petroleum based oil and I've seen stains from vegetable oil. The petroleum oils always degrade much faster than vegetable and the re-growth is always much healthier on the petrol spot after it degrades. I believe that gummy veggie crap is far worse on the environment.

How about hemp oil?

Useless, very high iodine value.
https://www.chempro.in/fattyacid.htm

The above poster didn't say that mineral oils are safe, he said that one shouldn't assume vegetable oils are safe

There is no point in continuing to raise the topic of mineral oils in this thread. Science shows that minerals oils are not good for the environment and not good for our health. This thread would be "so much better" if people simply accepted what science has already proved. :mad:

I believe that gummy veggie crap is far worse on the environment.

Trolling comment? Ignore list updated.

This thread has degraded from modern day AS symtoms. Take a look at the 'new posts' section and try to find something worth reading these days.....very hard. Once upon a time this place was full of new ideas/concepts and the noob experts were kept in check. Today they run the show and others don't bother.

Useless, very high iodine value.
https://www.chempro.in/fattyacid.htm

There is no point in continuing to raise the topic of mineral oils in this thread. Science shows that minerals oils are not good for the environment and not good for our health. This thread would be "so much better" if people simply accepted what science has already proved. :mad:

Trolling comment? Ignore list updated.
No, It's from personal experience as I clearly stated. You're already ignoring everyone else, so why not me too?

You're either illiterate or ignorant. Phuck me for taking your bait.

One of the many concerns that plant based oils present is a correlative effect between ingesting "rancid" or oxidized plant based oils and human inflammation indicators, elevated white blood cell counts, etc.. Long term exposure to misted plant based oils is an area of health information that I have found little reading about.

This effect in petroleum based oils is known. Try not to breathe it, keep it away from the babies and kids, the goldfish, parakeets, whatever.

It would be reckless to assume that because you can eat olive oil on bread that you can also put olive oil in your lungs, do not let me stop you though. As I like to say, "Go nuts."

Hey Chainsaw Jim, those are horrible bar oils.

Once upon a time this place was full of new ideas/concepts and the noob experts were kept in check

I've been a member, mostly lurking, for 3 years, so not a "noob". And how do you expect to get new ideas from the same old bunch of guys who've been yakking to each other here for ages? Then when someone does come along with a new idea, like testing vege oils for non-drying characteristics using iodine values, he gets roundly attacked by shitheads of all stripes.

Unless someone has something worthwhile to add, I'll duck out from this clusterf\/ck of idiots and only come back, maybe, to report my results with a non-drying oil, and whether or not it is better than canola. Out.

I've been a member, mostly lurking, for 3 years, so not a "noob". And how do you expect to get new ideas from the same old bunch of guys who've been yakking to each other here for ages? Then when someone does come along with a new idea, like testing vege oils for non-drying characteristics using iodine values, he gets roundly attacked by shitheads of all stripes.

Unless someone has something worthwhile to add, I'll duck out from this clusterf\/ck of idiots and only come back, maybe, to report my results with a non-drying oil, and whether or not it is better than canola. Out.
What do you expect when you go elbowing your way through your own thread like a rude jerk.

Latest posts

Back