ECHO CS-355T Muff Mod Q's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwpowere36m3

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I went and did it.... this arrived at my house today:

IMG_1935.jpg

An ECHO CS-355T that I got for a great price during ECHO's "One Day Sale". Was debating between this and MS200/201 (used of course), but I've been really happy with the CS-590... so I decided to give it a try. Anyway, I was looking it over thinking of how I'll mod it.... possibly.

So here are some shots of the muffler and deflector:

IMG_1933.jpg IMG_1932.jpg IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg IMG_1928.jpg IMG_1929.jpg

First impression, this thing doesn't seem restricted (compared to my MS192T, before MM). The muffler is a hollow can and the opening under the deflector is HUGE. The deflector seems pretty open as well. Interesting that the center of the deflector is raised going into that "hood" that redirects the exhaust downward.

Compared to the equivalent CS-360TES:
CS-360TES_Stock.jpg
And Tanaka:
Tanaka_Stock.jpg

Crazy.

Anyway, any advice? @blsnelling @Mastermind @Red97

I'm not sure the best way to modify the deflector if at all. If I cut back the raised center portion a bit, my concern is exhaust no longer being redirected by the hood downward. Instead blowing right out the side into the plastic cover.

Timing advance?

Thanks for the suggestions. I figured the only two logical options were a hole near the bottom or flattening the defector near the hood.

I'm going to run it a bit stock and pull the limiters.

Looks like he did, but not as aggressive as mine.

I used a set of sheet metal fluting pliers and a nibbler to work the metal.

Airframefixer. ‎

Do those shrink sheetmetal?

Hammering away at it, will just cause the thing to spread out and get wonky.

Yes, they are meant for putting flutes in aircraft ribs to form a compound curve in sheet metal formed to and angle. ‎
Small alternating crimps and it will move without stretching.
Airframefixer. ‎

Latest posts

Back