egged out bolt holes stump cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

millbilly

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought a used machine. Started replacing pockets and teeth but former owner must have run the machine with loose bolts. This caused the holes to elongate any ideas? Thanks Keith

change the wheel?

Welding and drilling may offset the center and then you're into worn bearings and such.

You can usually by the new wheel with a new shaft and bearings pressed on so you just swap it all out. That’s what I did with my machine when I bought it used. If you have time and you’re good with a torch you can save yourself money by salvaging the old shaft.
Chances are that if the wheel is dust then the bearings don’t have much life in them.

Here is another idea to throw out there......

On my machine (Vermeer 252), it had oblong holes in some of the outer pockets. The inner pockets were reasonably OK. The Green update kit only uses the inner pockets so a guy could ditch the outers and run that kit.

thanks,

Drew

Sounds like you need to weld the holes (at least partially) closed and re-drill. Not sure if you should use hard-facing welding materials or not.
Hard-facing would not be advisable, the weld deposit would likely be very difficult to drill, even softer alloys can cause drilling issues. I have some plate steel here I bought at an auction of unknown quality, that gets so hard in the heat affected zone after flame cutting it will tear up carbide tooling.
I will second Goinwheelin drill larger and sleeve them.

The way I look at it, the pocket bolts shearing prevents catastrophic damage. I would probably replace the wheel. Every time I have sheered a bolt I was pretty happy the $300 belt survived.

Latest posts

Back