Farmertec Piston and Cylinder Kits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

procarbine2k1

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
IMG_20150731_152226537.jpg Just rebuilt a Husqvarna 55 tonight, and thought I would post a few pics of the kit. This kit was an Ebay purchase. I was skeptical of the OEM cylinder cleaning up initially, so bought the kit as a backup plan.
I got the 55 from a friend for a good deal, and will be gifting it to my brother in law. He is a hobby cutter, and doesnt burn (just helps his dad). I didnt want to wrap up a ton of money in it, but needed it to be a reliable saw for him.
I am going to let the saw break in some before I post any compression numbers. It feels good by hand, although the squish was a little more than I would have liked (.060). I would have typically turned the base down on the cylinder, but out of sheer curiosity and impatience, I wanted to see how this kit would run out of the box. If it isnt where I think it should be, I will pull the jug back off and reduce the squish- or use the OEM cylinder.

The piston casting and overall quality is excellent.
The supplied ring is solid and looks great, not the ductile/split ring you see in a lot of AM kits.
IMG_20150731_152354099.jpg

is it a closed port cylinder......curious to know how it runs...I have a 55 to do but a 266 and a 61 ahead of it!

sap can

This one is OP, I wanted to save my cp cylinder for another build...
I had a cp55 before as well, they run good.

The piston is definitely better quality than some I have seen. Here's a question, is the cylinder Nikasil coated and if so how does it look. Its hard for me to tell, but these eyes are not what they used to be. Will you also clean up the bevel on the ports a bit? I am subbed to see how this one works out for you.

The casting on the cylinder, is decent. Better than the cheaper kits I have seen, not quite where OEM is in most circumstances. There are a couple flaws here and there that the coating covers up (external), flashing was pretty minimal. The port beveling was a little sloppy, but plenty acceptable. The top of the exhaust port felt a little sharp, so I did take a sanding wheel to it and knock the edge off... Although it most likely would have been fine. I would say this kit is bolt on and go, and expect it to last quite a while.
Plating looked good, it did get thin toward the top of the cylinder (exhaust side), but I dont expect that to cause any sort of problem. I paid 40 bucks shipped for this kit, and for the money... I just dont see how you could go wrong. I would have no reservation about stocking these kits if I owned a small shop, especially with lower budget clientele.
I wouldnt hesitate to buy another Farmertec kit, and if you are on a budget they would be toward the top of my list. I heard their carburetors are good too. Sometimes it is easy to be too critical of the small things, and not see the positives of a cheap, available, and pretty well made kit that can keep a weekend firewood guy's saw running another few years.

I've used tons of Farmertec kits (on Stihl saws mostly) and the only issue I've encountered on the Husky 55 is big squish (even with the base gasket deleted) and the impulse hole in the base of the cylinder is out too far. I've taken a grinder to it and moved it a bit to insure adequate impulse to the carb. They run just fine...

The piston is definitely better quality than some I have seen. Here's a question, is the cylinder Nikasil coated and if so how does it look. Its hard for me to tell, but these eyes are not what they used to be. Will you also clean up the bevel on the ports a bit? I am subbed to see how this one works out for you.

Edges looked good all around, some of the beveling was a little sloppy in places- but definitely nothing that would cause a problem. Only edge I cleaned up was the roof of the exhaust, but it most likely would have been just fine. Pretty nice looking kit, considering the price... I don't see how you could beat it.
And yes, I felt that the piston was superb- and a nice ring to boot.

I've used tons of Farmertec kits (on Stihl saws mostly) and the only issue I've encountered on the Husky 55 is big squish (even with the base gasket deleted) and the impulse hole in the base of the cylinder is out too far. I've taken a grinder to it and moved it a bit to insure adequate impulse to the carb. They run just fine...

Impulse hole looked ok, but yes- big squish. I will put it in wood tomorrow, but so far the saw starts and runs good. Compression by feel, feels pretty decent. I am glad I left it alone to see for myself. It wont be a hassle to go back into it if the need arises. I'm sure I will be the one maintaining this saw for my BIL for many years to come haha.

Latest posts

Back