ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Fire

Discussion in 'Forestry and Logging Forum' started by Gologit, Jul 7, 2012.

1. atpchas

atpchas AtA

catbuster likes this.
  2. madhatte

madhatte It's The Water Staff Member

~400% in ~40 years is significant. There's no way around that.

catbuster likes this.
  3. RandyMac

RandyMac Stiff Member

FFS! it isn't the rise in temp, it is the lack of wildland management and excessive fire suppression, many areas haven't seen fire or the hand of Man in 50 years, the fuel load is intense.

4. madhatte

madhatte It's The Water Staff Member

Well, that and all of the neighborhoods built up in box canyons. They don't cause the fires but they do jack up the cost of both suppression and recovery. Oh and of course the high cost of public opinion and negative press. I think the counties need to bear more responsibility for this one because they're who permits the construction in those locations where the fuels are loaded and the topography favors large fire growth. The rise in temperature is absolutely an issue and will become more of an issue over time, but much more immediately the land use problems need addressed.

catbuster, grizz55chev and atpchas like this.
  5. Drptrch

Drptrch Addicted to ArboristSite

Biigg50 likes this.
  6. TheBrushSlasher

TheBrushSlasher I have chainsaws and chainsaw accessories.

We had a had a good sized structure fire the night before, they pretty much lost everything. It was a mixed bag of agencies with calfire, usfs, auberry volunteer, and possibly buckskin fire department from parker strip Arizona with their quad cad tender out on a coverage assignment

20191028_204659.jpg

Drptrch and catbuster like this.
  7. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

Just outside of San Bernardino CA 18 homes were affected last night with some completely destroyed. Over and over again i hear the different fire agencies claim that they have never seen any thing like the fire weather we have. You can expect to have a fire in tall brush with 60 MPH winds because its normal so train for it. No effort at all by the home owners or county or cal fire went in to any prevention in that particular area. The grass and brush have been allowed to grow with out any restraint. I was very pleased that the agencies were able to work together and stopped the disaster from continuing. However Cal Fire and the prison group have been reducing fuel around my neighborhood. Thanks

Rob Stafari and Biigg50 like this.
  8. Hddnis

Hddnis Addicted to ArboristSite

Have family in the Monterey area. They are not allowed to do any brush control on the steep hillside below their house because of it being a scenic easement. (I think that is what it was called) County level thing, they can't mow, thin the trees, remove standing dead, control the vines, etc. They were ordered to stop maintaining the walking trail they had to access the bottom edge of their property. They still do trail maintenance, but instead of using power tools they pay a bunch of illegals in cash to do it quietly with machetes.

It sounds harsh, but I really think California is getting the inevitable consequences of many failed policies.

Plowboy83, catbuster and Biigg50 like this.
  9. Drptrch

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Making a stand that worked, overnight firing op in 50 mph favorable winds

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madhatte, TheBrushSlasher and Biigg50 like this.
  10. Hddnis

Hddnis Addicted to ArboristSite

I wondered if they would do that. It made sense, lots of risk, but weighed against what they knew was coming it seemed like the best tactic.

Drptrch likes this.
  11. Drptrch

Final map for Kincade Fire

[​IMG]
    Tendered in Div’s M, H, P, F & D

This was the evacuation zone map.
    7 of 10 input simulation maps produced this model, that if it jumped to west side of Hwy 101 it had potential to run corridors the Pacific. Thick flashy Grass, Eucs and scattered timber stands. 28 miles to the coast[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My house and family are the red mark just below Sebastopol.
    Anxious but all good for them while I was out

Have FUN and be safe ... Tyler watch for the P. Oak !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Oaks and Biigg50 like this.
  12. atpchas

atpchas AtA

13. atpchas

atpchas AtA

14. Blue Oaks

Blue Oaks ArboristSite Guru

15. Blue Oaks

Blue Oaks ArboristSite Guru

16. Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins Firewood by TJ

I see that implication not true or stretched some that fires have increased. I certainly do not believe in the climate change thing. I was recently talking with my USFS resource management officer. She said when she first became involved with FS and her husband noted how much area they were involved with prescribed burning. Now just in the last twenty years the formula has changed quite a bit as far as formulating plans for fuel reduction. When I was using a drip torch forty years ago we laid out a plan watched the weather and started burning with a few folks driving around watching for spot fires. A couple of years ago a area that I had worked on many many years ago was ripe for some fuel reduction. A plan was laid out with four hundred personnel showing up after several months of planning. That is ridiculous when a dozen will do. Thus fuel reduction is not taking place. Then Air Management has put the brakes on a majority of prescribed projects and still more projects not being done. So I conclude that with fuel or vegetation being allowed more freedom to expand it has become a more hazardous situation. Thanks

Biigg50 likes this.