Firewood Seller Charged With Felony Theft By Deception

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ductape

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Firewood seller tries passing off 2.5 cord as 7 cord and gets busted.

http://www.unionleader.com/article....rticleId=db1dbd5a-cc65-4b09-9db2-a454434c0684

"Or so a grand jury concluded as jurors handed up an indictment in Hillsborough County last month against a Manchester man for allegedly passing off 2.5 cords as seven cords of firewood.

Antonio Freitas, 49, had collected $1,010 for the wood from Nancy Loddengaard of New Boston -- a member of the New Boston town forestry committee, a group of volunteers familiar with timber and wood resources"

Ok so she was kinda doing a sting on the wood seller. But if your a client and not a one time costomer, shouldn't be able to reconginze the different between 7 and 2.5 cords of wood. Oh well. I've seen worse decption, just look at car sales.

If more guys like him get caught it might add some credibility to the guys that do things right. How many times have we dealt with a new customer that has gotten a light load in the past and they are suspicious of the next firewood seller for good reason. I have had people that are amazed that I tell them that the first load is only 1/2 of the full cord they are buying from me. ( I can only carry a 1/2 cord per load, I am small time for certain)

BUT it was not really a felony:

Freitas "recklessly" misrepresented and sold the cord wood in violation of state Weights and Measures law, a misdemeanor subject to 12 months and a $2,000 fine.
:deadhorse::deadhorse:

Oh by far do I agree, once you know they are a theif never can trust or turn your back on the sorry sob.:taped:

THe seller is obviously a crook, but seriously how do you mistaken 2.5 cords for 7.

he should be hung,,,i sold a guy a rick couple of months ago,,i knew there was more then that on the trailor,,we got it stacked at his house,,it measured 8 foot long x 5 foot high,,,he got extra and i knew he would,,he was happy and so was i,,

My guess it that they got a lot of complaints about this guy so they set him up. Looks good on him. Guys like him make guys like me get painted with the same brush by buyers. When this prosecutor is done with him I bet the IRS will be waiting in line.

I assume nobody's selling wood for $140 a rick in New Hampshire.

Until I saw the part about the $1010, I was thinking that he sold 7 'face cords' and the weights and measures enforcers were having a fit over nothing. She did get 7 1/2 face cords, or ricks, or whatever you want to call that unit of measure that's illegal in my state and probably his.

Also, a grand jury indictment doesn't mean much, other than the prosecuting authority wants to blame the case on a grand jury if he loses.

Simple math? :monkey:

From the comments:

"And whats the confusion. It is simple math. Nancy paid for 7 cords and got 2.56 cords and Tony is charged with pocketing $1,010.00; $1,010.00 divided by 4.44 (which is the amount of cords she did not get) makes the price paid per cord approximately $228.00. Seven cords @ $228.00 is $1,600.00; 2.56 cords @$228.00 per cord is $583.00; $1600.00 - 583.00 = $1017.00."

Wonder why it took from the delivery date of August, 2009 until now to indict the guy? Did it take her that long to stack it and find out she was cheated?

BUT it was not really a felony:

Freitas "recklessly" misrepresented and sold the cord wood in violation of state Weights and Measures law, a misdemeanor subject to 12 months and a $2,000 fine.

The prosecutor asked for reckless, the grand jury went with theft instead:

Ross A. McLeod, an assistant county attorney for Hillsborough County, presented a formal accusation to the Superior Court on Nov. 18 that Freitas "recklessly" misrepresented and sold the cord wood in violation of state Weights and Measures law, a misdemeanor subject to 12 months and a $2,000 fine.

The grand jurors went with a greater penalty for a "theft by deception."

Wonder why it took from the delivery date of August, 2009 until now to indict the guy? Did it take her that long to stack it and find out she was cheated?

New Hampshire court system is operating under a lot of budget belt tightening, so lots of furlough days for court staff/officials as well as not calling jury duty every month; so smaller cases get pushed back more and more.

Hmmmm. Mebbe....

This might just be a case of a firewood SELLER not knowing what a cord is.

We all know there are many using "face cord" and "rick" and other nonsense terms, but there are some sellers who use the term "cord" to mean FACE CORD. Somebody here on AS argued with me about that a couple years back or so. Insisted that a face cord was the same as a cord because "that's what we call it around here".

The math works if you look at it that way. An idiot seller, using CORD when he meant FACE cord, and a seller who knows what a CORD is.

If that's what really happened, fine with me. If the idiots insist on using terms incorrectly, they deserve to get whacked.

Stick to correct terms and you don't have these problems.

We all know there are many using "face cord" and "rick"

You never see "rick" in this area.

Face cord is very rare, too.

I just did a searchtempest.com search of CT/RI/MA/NH for face cord...came up with a few posts warning people not to be confused, but only found one person selling it "1/3rd of a cord, commonly known as a face cord" -- and that was deep in Metro Boston for $150 we're your selling wood to people for ambiance, not heating.

I don't think New Hampshire is much different from where I'm familiar with in eastern Connecticut / central Mass ...wood is sold by the cord. Or pickup truck load. But not by ricks or faces.

I don't think New Hampshire is much different from where I'm familiar with in eastern Connecticut / central Mass ...wood is sold by the cord. Or pickup truck load. But not by ricks or faces.

Right ! Occaisionally seen firewood sold by the pickup load (illegally), but never even seen 'rick' , 'rank', or even 'face cord' here in NH. It's really well known that the only legally accepted way to sell firewood is by the cord, or fraction of a cord. I had to hang around here to learn what a rick or rank was.

Back