Firewood too long...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porgyiii

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am relatively new to this wood burning thing, but I feel pretty confident I got ripped off. Ordered a cord of seasoned, mixed hardwood from a local dealer the other day. Now I could probably contest his definition of "seasoned" and "cord," but I'll reserve my judgment until I have it stacked.

HOWEVER, I can tell you for certain that as much as 30% of this entire load of split wood is over 21" long. My stove can barely squeeze in a 20.5" log. Needless to say, I'm pissed :mad2: Am I out of place assuming that the standard split firewood is sold in 16" - 20" lengths? This just seems like an underhanded practice that reeks of laziness (longer pieces = less cuts = less time).

Am I wrong? Do I have a case for telling him to come pick this largely useless pile of wood and give me my $ back?

I've found out that being on the delivering end of firewood to ask every question known to man before I sell a cord to someone. The majority of the time people have no idea what I'm asking them. But it helps to get a good overall idea of what is involved so they can be prepared to deal with the product.

For me, I will always cut firewood at 16" long pieces as it will make a 3 rick cord. Which keeps things simple for me. I have yet to deal with any elderly people who do firewood and want something cut shorter. In that case, it would end up being 8"ers to keep it simple.

There is 2 things you can do. Either you deal with it, and try and load your firebox with the pieces in a diagonal fashion or you get to cutting them in half yourself. You don't even need a chainsaw. You can use any saw in any form you got that will cut wood. Although, that's labor for you that should have already been paid for when you got the wood.

I would still call them up and voice your displeasure in dealing with them. 30% of the wood being too long seems to me like they are not measuring accurately. I would be shocked if this is a dealer and not some fly by nighter type of person.

Geez, want any cheese to to with your whine?

Cut the offending pieces down and burn them. It isn't every day that you hear folks complaining that they got MORE than they expected. Guess it's proof you can't make everybody happy.

Next time, if you are really adamant that wood can't be longer than X length, make sure that point is made adequately clear and make sure the wood is stacked/measured/approved before it is paid for.

When you ordered it, did you specifically spell out that "no pieces longer than 20" " ?

No, and that's not a mistake I will soon repeat.

recut the 30% would be the easiest solution

Absolutely, but the only reason I pay for this stuff is for the convenience of NOT having to cut it myself... ;)

I've found out that being on the delivering end of firewood to ask every question known to man before I sell a cord to someone. The majority of the time people have no idea what I'm asking them. But it helps to get a good overall idea of what is involved so they can be prepared to deal with the product.

For me, I will always cut firewood at 16" long pieces as it will make a 3 rick cord. Which keeps things simple for me. I have yet to deal with any elderly people who do firewood and want something cut shorter. In that case, it would end up being 8"ers to keep it simple.

There is 2 things you can do. Either you deal with it, and try and load your firebox with the pieces in a diagonal fashion or you get to cutting them in half yourself. You don't even need a chainsaw. You can use any saw in any form you got that will cut wood. Although, that's labor for you that should have already been paid for when you got the wood.

I would still call them up and voice your displeasure in dealing with them. 30% of the wood being too long seems to me like they are not measuring accurately. I would be shocked if this is a dealer and not some fly by nighter type of person.

He's actually a big-operation landscaper, and he's been around for long enough that I would suspect he knows exactly what he's doing. And he's a friend of the family, so in the end I'll probably just end up swallowing my words and just not give him business anymore...

Geez, want any cheese to to with your whine?

Cut the offending pieces down and burn them. It isn't every day that you hear folks complaining that they got MORE than they expected. Guess it's proof you can't make everybody happy.

Next time, if you are really adamant that wood can't be longer than X length, make sure that point is made adequately clear and make sure the wood is stacked/measured/approved before it is paid for.

Uh, no I definitely did NOT get more than I expected. The wood is long, not excessive in volume.

If yall didn't discuss the length beforehand, it's your fault, not his.People have differant needs when it comes to firewood.My Ashley heater will take a 30" stick, but my splitter is 24".Don't blame the firewood guy for something that's your fault.

If yall didn't discuss the length beforehand, it's your fault, not his.People have differant needs when it comes to firewood.My Ashley heater will take a 30" stick, but my splitter is 24".Don't blame the firewood guy for something that's your fault.

Fair enough. I guess this is what I was wondering. Now I get to aim the blame right back at myself...

Fair enough. I guess this is what I was wondering. Now I get to aim the blame right back at myself...

Like the old saying goes 'live and learn'.Now I bet the next time you order some wood, you'll find out beforehand the length.Then if you don't get what you ordered, you'll have a valid gripe and we'll all get down on the hack that ripped you off.

Am I out of place assuming that the standard split firewood is sold in 16" - 20" lengths?

Yes, but not for the reason you're questioning.

Standard firewood should be 16" -- plus/minus a half inch of variation I'd accept (some short, some long).

Any other lengths should be specified -- 18", 20", 12", etc.

From the specs I've read stoves that take over 18" are the distinct minority of models. Most are either 16" (which I think is a bit more common) or 18".

He's actually a big-operation landscaper, and he's been around for long enough that I would suspect he knows exactly what he's doing.

Depends.

If he's trying to sell firewood for full market value to repeat customers, he doesn't have a fracking clue what he's doing.

If he's just selling cheap wood for beer money to folks who just want cheap wood, he's doing just what he and the customers want.

I wouldn't go blaming yourself so hard, nor do I think others here should be slamming you so hard either. C'mon guys, he's a newbie. Where's our usual friendly welcome??:msp_unsure::msp_unsure:

I've not bought a whole lot of firewood, but I think I'm right in saying that lengths are usually around the 16" level, and a sign of professionalism in a seller is to come close to the accepted norm. Sure, he could have asked, but so could (should?) have the seller. As for the volume and moisture content, I'd be interested to see what it's at. This guy certainly wouldn't be the first or last to shortchange someone on volume, moisture, or length, and a good seller will ask what his customer wants, for that makes customers come back.

Porgyiii, I'd give the guy another chance. Next time you need wood, tell him what happened, and that you need wood under a certain length, and would prefer it to be a full cord and properly seasoned, and that you almost decided not to buy from him again, but that you got advice from Uncle Moustache himself, who advised you to give him another chance, and that if he didn't come through properly, that you'd rip his head off and send it to Washington DC. (Apparently in DC, a severed head works better than those that are still attached.)
Really, you'd be doing him a favor by helping him improve his firewood business, if he'd just clean up his act a bit.

As for your future in firewood, yes, it certainly doesn't hurt to tell them you need a certain length, and most sellers will also help stack, so you can measure it when it's delivered. Also tell them if they show up with any sycamore, willow, or other junk wood when they said "mixed hardwood" that they need not bother unloading.

That'll be 2 cents, please. :biggrin:

Oh, and WELCOME TO AS!!!

Last edited:
If yall didn't discuss the length beforehand, it's your fault, not his

Seller should have asked, and when in doubt deliver a consistent, common size -- 16".

Always better for both sides to make sure they know which length is desired.

If the seller is a friend of the family then I would do one of two things.

1. Bash the living daylights out of him for ripping you off to the friend of a friend.

and if that doesn't work

2. Do what every Keyboard Rambo would do, bash the living daylights out of him on CL.

I learned my lesson two years ago. Bought a cord of "seasoned mixed hardwood" from a local dealer on CL. And when you get some split wood with charring on it you realize it don't burn. I took about 1/2 of that "cord" to the local recycling plant this year. Now I chase my own.

20" + is not a standard length for firewood . You have a right to be pissed off and who ever sold you the wood should be ashamed
of themselves for ripping you off. In these parts anything over 16" is special order. I have sold hundreds of cords of wood and can
count on one hand customers who have asked for wood longer than 16".

Well, that wood would be perfect for my stove. :biggrin:

But.... as has been stated, 16" is the most common length for firewood sales. As you now know, in the future, be more specific with the size you want. It stinks, but easiest thing may be to cut a bit off the ends of the long pieces. FWIW, those shorts are great to burn in fall or spring when you don't need a long burn to warm up the house.

Thanks guys. Without a doubt, I will ask in the future. However, this was not exactly the first cord I've bought and all the others were cut to 16" lengths +/- 1"...

i've always cut fire wood 16"-18" long for my wood stoves,,even the ol' side loadin' Ashley i used to have in the man cave. and i have sold some wood,, not a lot,,not for beer money,, jest every now and again,, and i have always ask about length and size of splits !!! i have always stacked the wood i have sold, on site, at least upon 1st delivery,, so there would be no question as to what my truck holds.."Unclehaironhislip":bowdown:(sorry Uncle,,i couldn't help myself:hmm3grin2orange:) He who is wise,,said it best..

As a firewood seller, I have this happen from time to time. We usually cut our wood at 16" but. some customers need 14" or less and some with fireplaces like them 20" or more. some specify lengths some do not but claim to have after delivery. Bottom line for us is MAKE THE CUSTOMER HAPPY PEROID! If we have to send a man to cut down the wood we will. If we have to come pick up the load and refund money or exchange it for something else? we will. Even if it was not our fault. Ethics is the name of the game and a good reputation is worth more than a little extra work, a loss of money or a simple appology. If you are in this business for the long haul protect your reputation at all cost. It pays off with loyal repeat customers and refferals. Try to invision the conversation at the family table with neighbors and potential customers. The conversation can be like let me tell you about my firewood guy...how would you like the rest of the story to be? if my customer is happy he will tell someone but if he is not, I want to hear all about it so I can fix it. 'nuf said..

Latest posts

Back