Flex shaft motor opinions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
My HF motor went belly up last night so I'm on the hunt for a new one. I'm thinking this time around i'll go with something of better quality. I really like the Mastercarver Flex shaft set. 1/2hp, forward and reverse and it spins to 30k rpms. Is 30k crazy fast for carving on aluminum? The SR Foredome motor only spins up to 18k, and the HF unit spins to 15k. At $216 the Mastercarver set seems like a good buy.

Thoughts?

https://www.woodcarverssupply.com/NEW-1_2-HP-HANGING-BASIC-SET/productinfo/797422/

You are using a foot pedal for speed control right?

One of my grinders is a Roto Zip w/flex shaft. It goes up to 30k.
I like the xtra speed for some things.

My HF motor went belly up last night so I'm on the hunt for a new one. I'm thinking this time around i'll go with something of better quality. I really like the Mastercarver Flex shaft set. 1/2hp, forward and reverse and it spins to 30k rpms. Is 30k crazy fast for carving on aluminum? The SR Foredome motor only spins up to 18k, and the HF unit spins to 15k. At $216 the Mastercarver set seems like a good buy.

Thoughts?

https://www.woodcarverssupply.com/NEW-1_2-HP-HANGING-BASIC-SET/productinfo/797422/
I’m not certain it’s a quality issue. Many guys run them for years with no problems. Was yours already used when you got it? Mine is five years old with about 400 saws on it with no problems

Mines about 6 months old. Lol no I didn't buy $50 HF tool used. started making some loud rattling noises and the rpm range would vary. If there's gears inside of it I bet one of them chipped some teeth. I don't have any desire to investigate what's wrong with it either. Seems like a good time to upgrade.

My main question was about the speed. If the mastercarver does 30k rpm, the SR Foredome does 18k rpm, and the HF does 15k rpm is 30k too much? If 30k ends up being lighting fast it's going to get annoying trying to not hit full throttle with the foot pedal. Much more comfortable to press the pedal down all the way and lift up when full rpm isnt needed. I have also used a HF dremel with a flex shaft on it and that did 35k but was adjustable and I don't recall using it at 35k for carbide burrs.

CC specialty offers just the SR motor for $226. I don't really need anymore attachments or another foot pedal so maybe that's the way to go?

Couldn't you do like some sewing machine foot pedals and put a limiting bolt so it will only go to that and set high speed that way.

Latest posts

Back