forwarding

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lenny25

Reaction score
I am looking for an effective means of harvesting and forwarding logs. I operate alone, and don't want to invest too much into "big equipment". The logs I generally deal with are up to 30 inch Douglas fir, I would prefer to keep lengths in increments of eight up to 24 feet. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Has anyone heard of ASV? Are they better than a skid steer?
Thanks for your help!

There are some realy good dollies and trucks out there to haul individual loggs in low impact areas, I've seen them used with small tractors and even ATV's. (Quadies)

The designs are rather basic, I've talked to a few people that intend to make their own.

Check out Sherrill's dollies, page 31 in the 2001 catalogue. Or look it up on their site. I like JPS's idea of using an ATV.

One step higher would probably be an articulating Bobcat-type loader with a grapple.

Here`s another method ...

boomldr_photo.jpg

I just remembered an item I saw advertised in TCI magazine. It's called 'The Wheeler'. It's a gooseneck trailer set up like a Prentice loader. You pull it behind a pickup truck. Kinda like Kevin's little trailer behind his ATV, but these are rated at 20K lbs.
Website is www.payeur.com , but I haven't looked at the website yet.

Many years ago , my dad and I were involved in some small logging (posts and poles, houselogs. small sawlogs). We bought a 1956 Chevy Shortbed 4 wheel drive pickup for $600 and put chains on all 4 wheels. You could stick it in granny gear and crawl just about anything out of the woods.:cool:

Latest posts

Back