Granberg sharpening jig quality

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldtoolsnewproblems

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I like the design, it's the right amount of adjustment for me, my hands aren't great so free filling is getting harder.
However the more recent reviews on Amazon claim the build quality is really poor. Should I try too hunny down a used one or do you think those are copycats of poor quay

Mine's 20+ years old and solid. A neighbor bought one maybe 4 years ago and not near the quality of my old one.
Maybe take a look at the Tecomec models. I just ordered a couple to check out, haven't seen them yet so can't speak to them. I am just curious to see how they are. Less expensive than the Granberg as well.
@Philbert is leading me down a dark path.....although a lot more economical than another saw!

I like the design, it's the right amount of adjustment for me, my hands aren't great so free filling is getting harder.
However the more recent reviews on Amazon claim the build quality is really poor. Should I try too hunny down a used one or do you think those are copycats of poor quay
Had mine about 10 years. Made of pot metal so don't lean on them, screws are hard to tighten and can work loose but like I said, had mine for 10 years and gets the job done. Think mine came from Bailey's. Takes me about 10 minutes to sharpen a 84 dl chain as long as I do not stick it in the mud

I just bought a new one a few weeks ago and though I have never used an older one...I am still very happy with it. I did read some good advice about drilling what amounts to a divot in the bar and rounding off the thumb screw end to fit it so that it locks the unit to the bar without needing a lot of pressure. Past that, I say let the file do the work and I don't think it needs a lot of side pressure to be effective. I feel this was a good purchase and I have no doubt it will keep my chains in good shape.

I just bought a new one a few weeks ago and though I have never used an older one...I am still very happy with it. I did read some good advice about drilling what amounts to a divot in the bar and rounding off the thumb screw end to fit it so that it locks the unit to the bar without needing a lot of pressure. Past that, I say let the file do the work and I don't think it needs a lot of side pressure to be effective. I feel this was a good purchase and I have no doubt it will keep my chains in good shape.
Welcome to AS. I graduated from NMSU back in the mid 70's. Always liked Las Cruces.

Alright, after seeing my chain condition I decided to just bite the bullet and ordered one. I'll clean up the flashing and hope for the best. If it weren't for the fact I want to try making some ripping chain later I would have gotten the carbide timberline sharpener, that thing looks sweet and we'll worth the money, but the lack of adjustability was a deal breaker. Cost of carbide doesn't matter for me, I don't cut enough wood for it to add up. 3 cord a year ain't much compared to most of y'all

Welcome to AS. I graduated from NMSU back in the mid 70's. Always liked Las Cruces.
Nice. We have a lot in Cloudcroft that I am about to clear...hence the chainsaws. This site warned me about CAD. I need several chainsaws to clear that lot...right? My wife asked how many chainsaws I need for that. What kind of question is that? Jeesh! I got interested in sharpening the chains and got this Granberg jig. I am a believer in sharp chains already...so getting this jig seemed like a good idea. In case anyone else is out there...I am a vintage Shindaiwa guy. I have a 500, 415, 416 and parts to rebuild them all again. I also have an Echo CS400 (did the mods) and a battery-powered saw for when I need to be quiet. I am no expert, but I know good running 2-strokes (I did dirt bikes all my life) and these Shindaiwa saws are very good running and built solid. I think they are under-represented in the forum for people that like vintage saws. Anyway...cheers and thanks to AS for guiding me so far in all this.

Well I didn't actually have to fiddle with the jig. Everything fits together well, snugs up nice. I'm not sure what flashing has caused others issues as I didn't notice with this. Defyingly a very nice design sharpener, and my hands are thanking me, gripping a file and keeping it level was doing a number on me for some reason.

Had a whopsie in the dirt half way thru the day, and I sure was happy to have the jig to take some serious meat off the bad teeth. Wish I'd bought this a year ago.

Only three complaints: there's not enough room to tighten wing nuts and the depth/length guide, can barely get fingers in there, and it was 20f in the shop today so I'm wearing gloves making it even worse
2) when you go full travel on the slide, the wing nut for the file hiits the frame, loosening it
3) the hight adjust does not click in place, so easy to accidently adjust while going thru a chain, esp with gloves on
4) the pivot pin is not retained, so it can wiggle out and leave you cutting at an angle
Still worth every penny, and I will buy a second one if I break it somehow

Well I didn't actually have to fiddle with the jig. Everything fits together well, snugs up nice. I'm not sure what flashing has caused others issues as I didn't notice with this. Defyingly a very nice design sharpener, and my hands are thanking me, gripping a file and keeping it level was doing a number on me for some reason.

Had a whopsie in the dirt half way thru the day, and I sure was happy to have the jig to take some serious meat off the bad teeth. Wish I'd bought this a year ago.

Only three complaints: there's not enough room to tighten wing nuts and the depth/length guide, can barely get fingers in there, and it was 20f in the shop today so I'm wearing gloves making it even worse
2) when you go full travel on the slide, the wing nut for the file hiits the frame, loosening it
3) the hight adjust does not click in place, so easy to accidently adjust while going thru a chain, esp with gloves on
4) the pivot pin is not retained, so it can wiggle out and leave you cutting at an angle
Still worth every penny, and I will buy a second one if I break it somehow
All true, it ain't perfect but I have wore out several chains with mine and made (mostly) straight cuts in logs. I find that pulling your file is more better

WOW! that thing massively helpful, in 10 minutes I have a chain as sharp as if I spent 30 perfecting a new chain, and in 20 minutes can either fix a rocked chain, or undo a bonehead mistake that I made sharping a chain wrong in the past. Worth every penny

Back