Hardy H4 OWB not bringing hot air through vents

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wayned24

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I’ve had my Hardy H4 OWB for about 4 years now. Once I got it up and running, I’ve never had any issues. This morning I woke up to a chilly house. Went out to the Hardy.. Fire was burning well, the pump was running and it felt hot like hot water was moving through it.. the lines coming from the pump were warm like the hot water was going through them, but the air coming from my vents is not hot.. does anyone have any ideas what I could be overlooking? I’ve checked breakers, and made sure all the correct lines were still open going into my house.. I just don’t know what it could be? Thanks in advance.

Update: I think my pump might be dying. I went back out to the Hardy and it’s running, but making a noise I’ve never heard. I think it might be on its last leg. It seems to be working now and the house is warming back up, but I’m gonna replace it.

Keep us updated. Another possibility could be your underground lines had moisture infiltrate the insulation.

Thanks for coming back to update - post again when you confirm. It may also be possible the heat exchanger is clogged or there is another flow restriction, though it doesn't seem as likely with a sudden change as you say.

Spare pump with quick change flanges is definitely worth considering if you don't already have them.

I shot a text to my Hardy dealer and explained my issue bc my house was cold again this afternoon. He said he had an extra pump I could use, but asked me to check my water level first. I opened it up and, wouldn’t you know it, my water level was down! The floater had gotten stuck up which disabled my auto fill.. I manually filled it up and made sure the floater was working properly and about two hours later, my house is back to where it should be. I’m assuming a new floater is in line for me soon.

Back