Heat Pump Water Heater

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindredSpiritzz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Does anyone have any feedback on heat pump water heaters? Since they work like an air conditioner in reverse taking heat out of a room to heat the water im thinking it would work great in my basement next to my wood furnace. Seems like a natural fit to me. Just curious if anyone has first hand experience with these things?

I have one in my basement. I love it, works awesome. I have a tempering tank attached to the wood furnace in winter. Now I don't need my dehumidifier in the summer for the heater does it. Hot water is almost free all year long. Just can't beat them.

I have the GE geo spring. It's 50 gal, can run heat pump only, hybrid, (elec or pump depending on temp drop) Boost, (both at the same time for fast recovery) and vacation. They cost around a grand with a ten yr warranty. Also has a $300 tax rebate from feds, and a $600 or $1000 from the maine utilities. I was paid $350 profit to put one in. Then saved $1400 the next year not using oil for hot water. I have not seen the elec bill change at all.

My brother and I both have the GE heat pump water heaters. My brothers works great in his basement with his wood stove. He sets it to heat pump only mode and the water heater generates heat quickly with the air temp around 80 or so. Mine works good but my wood stove is not in the basement with the water heater and it chills the basement cause it blows cold air. I put my chest freezer and my spare fridge in the same room with the water heater. The fridge and freezer blow warm air that helps the water heater a bit and the cool air from the water heater helps the fridge and freezer.

My brother and I both have the GE heat pump water heaters. My brothers works great in his basement with his wood stove. He sets it to heat pump only mode and the water heater generates heat quickly with the air temp around 80 or so. Mine works good but my wood stove is not in the basement with the water heater and it chills the basement cause it blows cold air. I put my chest freezer and my spare fridge in the same room with the water heater. The fridge and freezer blow warm air that helps the water heater a bit and the cool air from the water heater helps the fridge and freezer.

You can make a vent and blow the cold air outside. I don't know if ge makes an adaptor. Other brands do.

You can make a vent and blow the cold air outside. I don't know if ge makes an adaptor. Other brands do.

I was thinking about making a sheet metal flange to attach some duct hose to connect to my home ducting for summer cooling and then connect it to an outside vent in the winter.

Yeah i was looking at the GE geo spring myself. With the tax rebate and the rebate from the utility it almost seems like a no brainer. Kind of surprised they arent more popular. Seems like the perfect set up for anyone with a wood burner in the basement.

They are no-brainers, especially if you live in an area with incentives, and absolutely especially if you would normally run a dehumidifier.

If you duct it to the outside, that air has to be replaced somehow with air coming in from the outside - which will be colder in the winter than the air going out. Not a good idea.

They are no-brainers, especially if you live in an area with incentives, and absolutely especially if you would normally run a dehumidifier.

If you duct it to the outside, that air has to be replaced somehow with air coming in from the outside - which will be colder in the winter than the air going out. Not a good idea.

Air will coming in isn't bad if your wood heating. Its good for a house to breathe a little.

We have one and it works great. I was thinking of adding a 20 plate to capture some of of the boiler heat

Back