Help with sc 252 cutter wheel shaft and bearings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Just need some advice on getting pillow bearings off the cutter wheel shaft on vermeer sc 252. I have 2 new bearings and a new cutter wheel shaft. Pretty sure i need to cut off the bearings but how do i separate the shaft from belt pulley. Also any tips on installing new bearings onto new shaft? Will they just slide on? Thanks for any input

Just need some advice on getting pillow bearings off the cutter wheel shaft on vermeer sc 252. I have 2 new bearings and a new cutter wheel shaft. Pretty sure i need to cut off the bearings but how do i separate the shaft from belt pulley. Also any tips on installing new bearings onto new shaft? Will they just slide on? Thanks for any input
The three bolts come out of the pulley hub then screw back into the other three holes and act as presses to get that split pulley off. Installing tips, good luck! Those pulleys have to be in perfect square with each other and it is one hell of a task to get them perfect. Lots of measuring and a straight edge help. I can guide you through it if you are a decent mechanic. If you didnt tamper with it already put a scribe mark where the two pillow block bearings seat to get you close.

The three bolts come out of the pulley hub then screw back into the other three holes and act as presses to get that split pulley off. Installing tips, good luck! Those pulleys have to be in perfect square with each other and it is one hell of a task to get them perfect. Lots of measuring and a straight edge help. I can guide you through it if you are a decent mechanic. If you didnt tamper with it already put a scribe mark where the two pillow block bearings seat to get you close.
Are you referring to the two pulleys the cutter wheel belt is on (top and bottom) ? The only thing ive done so far is unbolt the pillow bearings pretty much. Looks like I will have to loosen all the belts and take the cutter wheel belt off before I can go any further. Limited on time for the project so only doing a little bit at a time

Are you referring to the two pulleys the cutter wheel belt is on (top and bottom) ? The only thing ive done so far is unbolt the pillow bearings pretty much. Looks like I will have to loosen all the belts and take the cutter wheel belt off before I can go any further. Limited on time for the project so only doing a little bit at a time
You want to call me it will save time?

You want to call me it will save time?
That would be great ! Cant really call tonight but can call tomorrow after work whenever is good for you. If you want to pm me with phone number and time zone i will call you at your convenience tomorrow. Im in florida . Thanks for your help

One word of caution..check the tapered hub bushing for setscrews in the flange that lock the keyway and the hub to the shaft.. loosen those before you try to get the hub off of the shaft. There are usually 2 around the perimeter of the hub....
I've never found a way to get the bearing off of the drive side without cutting it off...I take a BFH ,cover the bearing houshing with an old towel, and wail away til the housing cracks..its cast iron and splits fairly easily...then ,I cut the the roller bearing outer race with a zizz wheel WEAR SAFETY GLASSES !!!!...then ,either zizz the inner race ( which is usually rusted to the shaft ) or CAREFULLY cut it off with an O/A torch....
The bearing on the other side usually comes off easily..

After replacing the second cutter shaft because the pillowblock setscrews galled the shaft , I came up with a different approach. Because the bearing collars are a slip- fit on the shaft and the setscrews cock the collar slightly ,they tend to dig into the shaft and over time work around the shaft...and the shaft wears ,which worsens the condition if you use it again....usually I could only get 2 bearing replacements before the shaft was junk...
I hard-faced welded up the surface where the bearing goes and had it ground to a precision fit for the new bearing..just a slight press fit is all you need..a good machinist will know how to do it...I also had flats machined in the shaft for set screws to tighten against

I've been using the same shaft for 2 yrs now and its gone thru 3 bearing sets ,still looks good with very little wear..I recently had another welded/ground to be used if I ever need it...
I also use Vermeer's bearings.. I know there are cheaper brgs ,but these are a good quality bearing and seem to last longer than the cheapos I have tried..

Good luck ,
Stan

Back